1748171 Members
4293 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3G SAS switch to MDS600 unable to connect due to SSA70 path failure

Elox
Occasional Advisor

Yeah, I already did that, went and bought a P411 to try with a ML350G5. Same result as you, unsuccessful.

The enclosure doesn't seem to care if it's dual or single domain. The system still identifies itself as "ssa70" and not a mds600. Also shows firmware version 2.58 which is not listed on the website anywere. I belive I might have a inhouse or pulled firmware.

I have a case with 2nd line at the moment, but I have little faith that they will be able to solve it for me. Hopefully the warranty might hold for a new pair of controllers.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Elox

The SAS switch's must be down graded to a ver. 1.xxxx FW, for the MDS to be upgraded to 2.5x fw.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Michael Bunker
Frequent Advisor

Elox and Christopher,
The SSA70 is an IO module for a different product that is not supported by the 3G SAS Switch. This IO has an older chip that doesn't support SAS zoning. You will need to replace the IO modules with MDS600 IO modules. Where did the old SSA70 IO's come from?
Are Romøren

> Boot a blade with a Smart Array ctrl (Not the onboard)on the USb mem.
Enter debug mode - At the first screen hold down the CTRL key, and enter D B X
waite a few seconds and you get a Linux command prompt.

Just out of curiousity - how was the connection between blade and MDS600 achieved? I'm struggling with the same issues as OP.
drolfe
Valued Contributor

@Michael Bunker wrote:
Elox and Christopher,
The SSA70 is an IO module for a different product that is not supported by the 3G SAS Switch. This IO has an older chip that doesn't support SAS zoning. You will need to replace the IO modules with MDS600 IO modules. Where did the old SSA70 IO's come from?
HI,

Hi,

Can you confim this, as I"m having the exact same issue and HP isn't sure if the SSA70 is the same as the MDS600 or not ?

Regards, Daniel

tomas lovato
Occasional Advisor

I too am having the exact same issue. Purchased a MDS600/SSA70 and trying to plug it into a c7000 chassis with 3G sas switches in slots 5/6. Nothing I can do will clear up the "Path Falure" issue. I dont see any way to upgrade the firmware on the controllers themselves, just the switches. I tried downgrading and no further options became available.

Why is it that if I search HP's website for SS70, nothing comes up? whats the real model number? Is there a part number for the MDS600 controllers somewhere lurking around? One of the documents I saw mention ordering part#AP763A to get dual domain ability. I assume thats the controler for the 600 vs the 70?

The one photo i found of that part number shows red handles instead of bare metal ones. Is that a clue as to what the different is? Maybe the MSA70 only supports direct connect systems or something? or the controllers are limited.

If on my switch webpage I look at "Maintain->VSM Active->System log" there is a line refering to  -Expander (Addr: 50014380027AF080, Enclosure Logical identifier: 50014380027AF080, VendorID: HP      , ProductID: SSA 70          , #Phys: 36, Zoning enabled: false, bZoneLocked: false, bPhysicalPresenceAsserted: false, hasChanged: false)

If on my switch webpage I look at "Maintain->VSM Active->More Infomation" there is a line refering to  the enclosure "SSA 70" with a firm ware of 2.66.

Ive seen some info that  gregersenj posted in another thread, but it doesnt seem to be working for the folks that tried it....

drolfe
Valued Contributor

HI, Tomas,

I have anopther forum thread opened for this same issue, in my thread I have many screen shots, I have pictures of my SSA70 front and back and also a picture of the io module PN.

Hp-6g-BL-Sas-switch-can-t-see-MDS600

Let me know if your hardware is the same is mine

Regards, Daniel