4057 Online
108847 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA Controller

Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

EVA Controller

Hello,
How does data write to the slave controller of EVA?

Is there an online doc to determine how Master/Slave works with together or how Active/Active or Active/Passive work?

is there any relation between Master?slave controller and Active/Active , Active?passive controller?

I am confusing about these matters (Master/Slave and A/A, A/P) could you please explain each of them for me?

BR
hasan
3 REPLIES 3
Hasan  Atasoy
Honored Contributor

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Master/Slave controllers and Active/Passive vs Active/Active have nothing to do with each other.

Master/Slave means that the master controller is responsible for certain management tasks, but when talking about the EVA, both controllers can process disk I/O (A/P and A/A firmware).

Active/Passive vs Active/Active defines if and how read/write I/Os to a certain virtual disk can be accepted by one or by both controllers.

This is very low-level stuff and the EVA documentation is very quiet about these things.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

The newest EVA are only A/A. The older EVA 3000 and 5000 could be A/A with newer firmware or A/P with the old firmware. You should identify your array and its VCS release number. You may also want to mention your operating systems. The A/P configuration required SecurePath software for most configurations. It is not needed with A/A, hence the big advantage of A/A firmware.
Mom 6