Disk Enclosures
1757096 Members
2455 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Error EVA 4400 storage system is not responding to management command requests in a timely manne

jiffry
Occasional Contributor

Error EVA 4400 storage system is not responding to management command requests in a timely manner

Hi,

We have an EVA4400 array with 4 disk enclosures connected to it. Currently 3 disk enclosures occupied with 450GB 15k FC drives. The disk drive firmware is HP02.

We have recently purchased 12 x 2TB 7.2k FATA disks drives and installed them into 4th disk enclosure. EVA 4400 detected all the drives without any issues and showed as Near-Online disk. I created a new disk group with newly installed near-online fata disks but I got the following below error message soon after I created the new disk group with FATA disks;

“The storage system is not responding to management command requests in a timely manner. This may be due to a prior management command request with excessively long response time, or a communication problem. CV EVA will recover automatically when the storage system is able to respond to management commands. Management command access to the storage system does not affect host I/O. “

I clicked the refresh button to rescan but did not work. However, when I check the path test it showed master path is active and the secondary path is unknown.

I restarted the whole storage system but nothing worked out. When I checked the storage systems rear view I noticed that one controller blinking amber and all the fiber ports inactive.

As a resolution I removed all the FATA disks from the enclosure and re checked the system then the error message got disappeared and system started working perfectly.

Can anyone help me to recover this issue and install 2TB disks to VA4400?

Firmware Versions as follows;

XCS version:

XCS build:

CR18CBlep 

Management firmware:

mmp-0001.3000-CR03D8 

2TB FATA disk firmware is HP04

450GB FC disk firmware HP02

Regards

Jeffry

1 REPLY 1
StorageMike
HPE Pro

Re: Error EVA 4400 storage system is not responding to management command requests in a timely manne

Hi

Where did you purchase the disks from? Do you know if they came from another EVA?  If so then it's possible one (or more) of the disks has configuration meta (RSS) data  on it.  I'd start by removing the new disks and seeing if that allows the EVA to stabilse.  I'd then add the disks back in groups of 4 and create DGs from these disks and then delete the DG.  This will ensure all data is deleted. 

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo