108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing hard disks to a EVA4000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Subentu
Frequent Advisor

Installing hard disks to a EVA4000

I have a EVA4000 and the current setup and it has one enclosure, and all 14 bays are occupied in that.

I want to expand the EVA, so i have to buy a new enclosure. When installing hard disks to the new enclosure, what are the points i should consider?

Do I have to install them in groups (for example groups of 4 or groups of 8).

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Installing hard disks to a EVA4000

Hi,
this should be kept:
1. new disk addition to the back-end loops 1 disk at a time with waiting for its initialization (aprox. 1 minute)
2. firmware check of all (old/new disks) by the disk firmware bundle via the CV EVA code load:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3351789&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3302267&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54

3. new disk grouping in groups of 8 because of the default RSS count is 8 physical disks...
the pain is one part of the reality
Subentu
Frequent Advisor

If we must add new disks in groups of 8, the second set have only room for 6 disks (14 bays in an enclosure). Can you please explain.

Thanks for the quick reply.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi, now you have 14 disks, it means e.g. RSS1 of 8 HDD and RSS2 of 6 HDD. You are right that another 14 disks is not giving us the number dividable by 8. And we also know that we cannot have 3*RSS of 8 HDD and one of 4 HDD, because the valid RSS physical disks numbers are 6-11. So my previous advice is bit too ideal/general/theoretic. Thats why you can continue to add 8 more disks that could e.g. add 2 disks to RSS2 and create the RSS3 of 6 HDD. The last 6 disks thenafter could create another RSS4 of 6 HDD...
the pain is one part of the reality
Subentu
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the explanation.

So if I understand correctly, I can add any number of disks (1 to 14) for the new enclosure, because no matter what is the number of new disks, they would be included into a RSS.

I have added a chart indicating how RSSs grow in an EVA. Please check it and correct me of im wrong.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

That's the way it usually works, except the last one, there can only be one RSS with an odd number of disks.
Also, 8 disks per RSS is usual, but you can find a situation with 3 RSS with 10, 9 and 6 disks. This usually leads to two RSS being merged and the split in another two RSS with different number of disks.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> 8 disks per RSS is usual

Nice theory :-)

This week I've looked on an EVA-6100 with one disk group and 112 disk drives. The RSSes have: 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 10, 10, 10, 10 disks.

The array must have some history, because it has 14 reasons that prevent a mirror state and 12 reasons that prevent a parity state.