1757023 Members
2157 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Removing LUN group from HP NetRAID D4943A

Tony Berry
Valued Contributor

Removing LUN group from HP NetRAID D4943A

How in the heck do you simply remove a LUN group from this cards config? I have 2 LUN groups configured. One for an internal array on Channel 2 and a second LUN using split bus on Channel 0 and 1 to an external HP RS/8 array. I moved the RS/8 to another machine and want to remove the LUN from the card because it stops and asks for confirmation on boot up. This hampers my "unattended" reboot abilities.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Unix is boss.
4 REPLIES 4
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

you did not specified the OS running here, so i provide 2 ways

1) OS independent
-----------------

OFFline, at server boot, press Ctrl M to enter the Express Tools and choose to clear the config. This will erase all logical drive info on the controller and disks.

2) Windows OS
-------------
ONline, use Netraid Assistant B.01.04 or higher and select the logical drive that was created the latest (highest number) and delete it.

If however the logical drive that was on the RS/8 is not the latest that was created, then the best way is to erase the complete config (see step 1).
Then configure a new array with internal disks with the exact same information (raid level, stripe size etc) and save the config and reboot the server without selecting to initializing the newly created array.

This will give you a back your internal disks (with the OS on them) and it will run just fine. Done this multiple times, always works fine.

HTH
Kris
Tony Berry
Valued Contributor

Kris, thanks for the quick response.

The OS is Linux. I didn't put that as I didn't think removing a LUN group could even be done within the OS and with Linux it apparently can't. Just one more thing that Linux can't do with this controller. What I REALLY want is to be able to monitor RAID group rebuild progress. I hate not knowing where it's at on a rebuild. I know that information is somewhere in the NetRAID's memory so "simply" peeking at a memory location should give me what I want, I just don't know the location, or how to peek at it.

Anyway, I suspect you are right on your suggestion but I hate to take a chance. At times I've been able to unplug all devices from the NetRAID, clear config, plug desired drives back in, and "use drive RAID info". That works about 50% of the time. Not sure why it's so inconsistent. Your idea would work, except I'm not sure what order I bound the drives in (if that even matters). I think I interleaved them. But I normally only do that across channels, so that may not be the case with this single channel (channel 2) RAID group. I guess it's something I haven't tried and should try it now before I get into a production environment and have this issue.

Why, oh why, doesn't the controller have a "Delete" in the Add/Delete/View Logical BIOS menu? What the heck does the "delete" refer to then?

Thanks Kris. Can I give you points?

Unix is boss.
Tony Berry
Valued Contributor

Maybe that'll give you points.

Unix is boss.
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony,

express tools does show you the menu item called "View/Add/Delete" you are right but when highlighting this entry at the bottom of the screen you'll only see "View/Add" and their is no way to delete something in the config from this menu selection.

The only option i saw was a clear config in the menu at the same level as View/Add/Delete but that erases all LD info.

So offline their seems to be no way to delete just one LUN at a time.
For Linux their does not seem to be a monitor service , for sure not for this older type of Netraid card,have a look here for what is available :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpn14984&locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=51930&prodTypeId=51210

regards, Kris