1756216 Members
2659 Online
108843 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Lack of DOS Drivers for Smart Array 431

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Lack of DOS Drivers for Smart Array 431

I need to get this controller (Smart 431) working under DOS. I have been through this forum forwards and backwards and understand that there are no such DOS drivers for this controller. The common response is "they are not necessary, the controller works fine with DOS" or something to that effect. I and several other forum users are still puzzled. No need for DOS drivers? If that be the case, I'm asking someone to please explain to the forum how to make the drive array available to DOS when booting from floppy. I too would like to use Ghost to build some 40 ML530 systems from a boot floppy or CD. Anybody know how? Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Lack of DOS Drivers for Smart Array 431

I suppose the answer from Compaq to your question would be to use the 'SmartStart Scripting Tool kit' which can be down loaded from the interned.
I would like the DO drivers as well so that I can use Ghost for my DL380s.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Lack of DOS Drivers for Smart Array 431

True, you do not need any specific drivers for DOS access to drives on the array controller. You do need to run the Array Configuration Utility to configure the drives to be available for ANY operating system, however.

This is most easily performed using SmartStart & performing a Manual Installation. This will allow you to set up your hardware, choose the OS to be installed, run the Array Configuration Utility (ACU), install a diags / setup partition, etc. Once the hardware is set up & array configured, the OS can recognize the resultant available drive(s). Even a DOS boot floppy...

As for Ghost, you're on your own...

mk