1756530 Members
2306 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA1000 - failed array and logical drives

arvetus
Occasional Visitor

MSA1000 - failed array and logical drives

I have a legacy MSA1000 that I have inherited.  It has 2 additional shelves attached to it.  There was a backup done to IBM Tivoli before I inherited this device, however, there is one tape missing from the batch, so Tivoli fails on trying to restore the data since there is no way to get Tivoli to "skip" the missing tape.

The array initially went down due to a backplane issue.  I was able to obtain a working chassis, installed all drives, fiber card, SCSI card and control head into the "new" chassis and I was able to get one of the logical drives back.  During the rebuild, evidently a drive went out before I could re-backup the data.  I have replaced the bad drive but I cannot get the array or any logical drives under it to come back online.

I show 2 failed drives in the diagnostics report, but I cannot locate them in any of the shelves.

They are showing Port 2 SCSI id 7 and Port 2 SCSI id 14.

It appears to be one large array configured with RAID6, with 5 logical drives under it.

I attempted to go into the cli and run the "accept units" command, but the array will still not come back up.

Windows Disk Management does recognize something as being there, but it says the disks are not initialized and prompts me to run the Disk Initialization Wizard.

If I delete the array and recreate it, along with each logical drive, should the data become accessible again in Windows?  I am aware that if more than 2 drives failed, there could be potential data loss, but in theory, shouldn't I be able to access what data is there if I delete and recreate the array, so long as I don't clear the controller config?

I attempted to post screenshots, but it said I wasn't allowed.

2 REPLIES 2
arvetus
Occasional Visitor

Re: MSA1000 - failed array and logical drives

arvetus
Occasional Visitor

Re: MSA1000 - failed array and logical drives

Also...if I WERE to delete the array and recreate it along with each logical drive, how can I know before hand which physical disks were used to make up each logical drive?