Disk Enclosures
1783194 Members
1692 Online
109144 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL580, replace miror with bigger disks?

Lodewijk_1

Proliant DL580, replace miror with bigger disks?

My configuration: DL580, Smart array 5i, 2x 72GB disks in a mirror on position 0 & 1, Tape drive on position 2 & 4.

Objective: Replace the 2x disks with 300GB disks without rebuilding the OS+data.

My idea: Temp. remove tape drive. Create 2nd mirror with 300GB disks on position 2 & 4. Use imaging tool to move OS + data from mirror 1 to mirror 2. Remove disks from position 0 & 1 (original mirror). Move new mirror from position 2 & 4 to position 0 & 1. Put back the tape drive to position 2 & 4.

My concern: Will the array controller recognize the re- move of mirrors. Because I do not want to restore or rebuild the server from scratch?

I hope anyone can give me some advise on this or has suggestions.
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I don't know if the 5i supports 300 GigaByte disks, but SmartArray controllers do support 'drive roaming' so this should work.
Lodewijk_1

First of all thanks for your feedback.

I just checked and the 5i controller supports the 300GB disks.

So basically 'disk roaming' means you can move existing disk arrays wihout re-creating it or losing the data on it?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Right. Of course you need to move the disks when the server is powered off - else the SmartArray controller beleives that the disk you pulled has just failed. And you should still do a backup, because a disk might not get proper electrical contact in it's new position (I have seen this already).

On second thought, I am not sure if the server will be able to boot after the change. The new logical disk will get a new 'address index' and I am not sure if the controller will move it down if you delete the first (72GB) logical disk. I have never tried this, but perhaps someone else can add his/her experience.