1751832 Members
5403 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: modular vs. cache-centric disk arrays

SOLVED
Go to solution

modular vs. cache-centric disk arrays

Could someone give me a succint definition of the difference between modular (e.g. EVA, HDS9500)and cache-centric (XP/HDS9900V) disk arrays, together with pros/cons of each?

As usual, plenty of points on offer for intelligent answers - no points for repeating what someone else just posted in a different way!

Cheers

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
16 REPLIES 16

Anyone?

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Bernd Reize
Trusted Contributor

Hi Duncan,

i think, i can tell you at least some differences , but it's only my humble opinion, of course.

Mid-Range Arrays (HDS9500, EMC Clariion..)
- config changes often need reboots
- less configurable than the highend arrays
- implement only simple redundancy
- their simple architecture achives a IO Rate near the physical limit (i.e. 30 disks ~3000 IOPS)
- mostly they are optimized for troughput instead of IOPS
- a single server can drive it to its limits

High-End Arrays (HDS9900V, EMC Symmetrix)
- almost every config change can be done online
- extremly flexible in their configuration
- multiple redundancy: the huge amount of front-end and back-end adapters makes every fault a small isolated problem - it will never "take down half the machine" like with the mid-rang arrays -> highest available reliablity
- as long as your applications can use it, they achive IO rates far above the physical limits trough their cache logic
- Heavy optimized for IOPS, troughput may be not as good.
- to really use all of its resources you have to connect many (lets say, at least 8 or 16) servers to it

I think the coice is mainly what applications you need the array for, what level of reliablity you need and how much it may cost, of course.

Thanks,

Perhaps I need to be a little clearer on what I am after... I understand all of what you have said, but as far as I can tell these are all implicit pros/cons of the different types of disk arrays, what I'm looking for is how these products are different 'architecturally' and how the different architectures introduce different explicit pros/cons.

Thanks,

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Stuart Abramson_2
Honored Contributor

This is "tongue-in-cheek" but true:

The EMC Symmetrix is the biggest, fastest, most reliable, most flexible, most feature-rich disk in the world. It has the best support of any vendor. It has the best, most complete software surrounding it.

If you can afford it, buy it.

If you can't afford it, buy one of the others.
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Stuart

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Symmetrix is neither the biggest, the fastest, the most reliable nor the one with the most features.

It's the XP series!! Look for the XP1024.

Here's why.
Size:
Sym DMX3000 84TB max (just announced) XP1024 149TB (available for ages)

Features:
- Almost the same but the XP has async remote replication with in-order delivery for years while EMC just announced it for the DMX!
- XP port control ressource manager. Feature to prioritize and/or limit IOs of individual servers. Not available on Symmetrix.
- RAID5: available on XP not on Sym. They still use proprietary and slow RAID-S
- MetroCluster solutions for Solaris, AIX, Windows and Linux are only available on XPs!
- ???

Reliability
- XP has mirrored Cache, Sym just Raid protection
- Concurrent HW and microcode maintenance is common on XPs since 1999. EMC claims online microcode upgrade possible but EMC Engineers always ask for offline upgrades!! Why?!

Security:
- Anybody can dial into the Sym and hack it. The XP does dial-back to secure, predefined numbers only.
There are many more things, but your input was definitely not what Duncan asked for ???

Peter

I love storage

Hmmm - definately NOT what I asked for!

Religious wars can take place on someone elses thread...

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Maybe you can find som information here:
http://www.evaluatorgroup.com/English/Services/SPC_Benchmarks.html
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Duncan,

I hope this addresses your post:

MODULAR ARRAYS:
- lower cost
- easier deployment
- Smaller Cache Sizes
- simple "caching" algorithms
- Caches can be easily overrun
- acceptable performance for OLTP, small DSS
- start small, grow as your needs.
- average "SANability"

Good Bets: HPQ (Compaq) EVA Line, Amdahl/Fujitsu, Clarion, SUN StoreEdge Mid-range Series.

CACHE-CENTRIC ARRAYS:
- Very large Caches (both Back and Front end)
- Better IO througputs - hence very good for large DSS/DW implementations as wellas OLTP.
- More Multipathing options
- More In-Box tools for replication, mirroring, etc...
- Virtually no downtime, Vendor CallBack features
- InBox OS offers intelligent caching algorithms to handle very complex IO patterns.
- Scalable
- Mutli-platform connectivity -- FICON, FC

Best Bet: Hitachi (either HP's XP line or Sun's StoreEdge 99xx line), EMC's DMX line
Hakuna Matata.
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

I'm looking at this from the Compaq side of the house.

=========================================
The HSG80 controller can be programmed from the CLI by a serial cable connection that can be remotely accessed through a terminal server. Or you can use GUI tools that require client software to manage once you setup your inital Units/LUNS.

The HSG80's in the BAXXX or EMAxxxx cabinets have you managing the spindles. You make your storagesets based on the physical spindles.
I currently can only make a 6x146GB raidset without breaking any of the redundancy rules.
This gives me a raidset that has 700GB of usable space as the largest raid that I can make.

If I stripe mirrors, I loose 1/2 my space in the storageset to redundancy, but I can make an even larger LUN up to 30*{disk size} as long as I stay under the 2TB controller limit.

===================================

The EVA requires the SAN appliance as the front end to manage/monitor the EVA through the supplied GUI tools.

The EVA uses as many Fibre channel disks (Up to 240) that you want to put into a disk group.

After you set your paranoia level (Sparing and redundancy) you manage the space in 1GB increments exactly how much disk space you want to present to each host.

We have 168 146GB disks in one disk group in our EVA. (2c12D + 0c12D expansion)

=====================================
We looked at the XP system. While it had the ability to expand to hold more disks than the individual HSG/EVA it had a much higher cost of ownership for us than the EVA did.

Mike Naime
VMS SAN mechanic