108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA: Question on Disk Groups and Data Replication

SOLVED
Go to solution
PatrickFrith
Advisor

EVA: Question on Disk Groups and Data Replication

We are running twin EVA 5000s connected via dark fiber in two separate buildings. Orginally we only had a single disk group (72GB disks) and later added a second disk group (300GB disks). All the slots have been filled. (This disk configuration is the same in each building's EVA.) We also have 6 data replication sets configured as part of an HP Custer Extension for EVA installation.

All the data is file data - no apps other than the occaissional Access database.

We purchased enough 300GB drives to replace the 72GB drives. During off hours I have been unpresenting the LUNs to each cluster host, breaking the replication, making snapclones of each LUN (i.e., moving the LUN from DG1 to DG2), reestablishing the replication in the original DR group and re-presenting the LUNs to the cluster hosts. All has been working nominally. However, I am now at the point where I can begin to delete the DG1 LUNs and finally DG1 itself.

Here is the question: In the DR Group Properties -> Log Properties -> Disk Group Location, I still see DG1 as the Disk Group Location. Does this mean I will have to delete and recreate the DR Groups from scratch to complete the work?
===================
EVAs running at version 3110, Command View EVA version: 6.0.2.37 (We are planning to upgrade the EVAs to 8000s but we are still working on a project plan for that.)
===================

Thanks!!
5 REPLIES 5
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
maybe this doc could help you:
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01376186/c01376186.pdf
the pain is one part of the reality
Dileep..
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi,
please see page24 on below link. it has only mentioned about the increasing the size of the log disk. and we dont have any option in CVEVA to change the location of log disk. I believe we have only option of recreating the DR group to change the log disk location.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01525950/c01525950.pdf

Rgds
Dileep
Schwarzie
Frequent Advisor

Hi Patrick,

I had the same issue when trying to delete and recreate a disk group. You will need to run though all of your DR Groups and by looking at the "Log" tab for each one, find out which groups have their Log files stored on the Disk Group you want to delete.

You then have to delete that DR Group and recreate it. From the Create Data Replication Group screen you can specify the Disk Group for the the Source & Destination Log Files.

Once you've done this you will find that Disk Group 1 has zero data stored to it and is availabe to delete.

Hope it all goes well :)
PB75
Advisor

We ran into the same problem with our two EVA5000. There is no solution to "change" the log location on a EVA5000 DR_Group. The only way is to delete and recreate the entire group. Check out the second post from Alain Bluntzer:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=12121453D2&aid=SEARCH_FORUMS&pil=15&serStr=delete+disk+group&pir=2

The "HP StorageWorks Continuous Access EVA implementation guide" describes how the EVA chooses DR logfile placing.

PatrickFrith
Advisor

Thanks for everyone who supplied answers - even when the answer involves extra work it at least gives me a path!

Happy Computing All!