New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitor MSA 1000 SAN Starter Kit

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marc Moennikes
Advisor

Monitor MSA 1000 SAN Starter Kit

Hello,

we have a MSA1000 SAN Starter Kit with fibre channel switch and 2 controllers. The SAN is connected to 2 DL360 G4 Servers. In the "HP System Management Homepage" i cannot see the storage when i open "storage/external storage connections". Internal drives and so on i can see. Is this right? I think, i should also see the external storage in the management homepage?

So i get no events or errors from the san (hard drive fails, power fails or so on). Other events from the HP-Server-Agents are working fine and i can also see the errors in MOM 2005 server with imported "HP Proliant management pack".

Can somebody give me a hint how i can monitor the storage or which way i have to go?
Is it possible to get events in the MOM-monitoring-soultion? Do I need other software like System Insight Manager? Will the SIM find the SAN?

Thank you very much.

Greetings

Marc
3 REPLIES 3
Alexsey Novik
Advisor
Solution

Hello!
You can only configure hpasm and hprsm modules to send SNMP traps to your server.
Similar things you need to do with your Internal switches.
Unfortunately MSA1000 is low-cost DiskArray
and you can not receive events directly through SAN.
Events will be sent over yours DL360 G4 servers

Good luck
Marc Moennikes
Advisor

Hello,

thank you for your answer. I have found the trick.
Installed "Storage Works Fibre Ch. Array Notication Driver" and now it works :-)
This was missing...

Now "System Management HP" works, HW-Failure -> Eventlog-entry on HP-Server -> MOM Alert.

Greetings

Marc
Chris Wong_1
Advisor

You can actually manage your SAN with SMI-S agents and HP Performance Management Pack. It can be a bit of a chore to get all of the SMI-S agents up and running as there's not a lot of clear documentation on configuring the SMI-S agents, but I got through it with our MSA1500 SAN Starter Kit. You can get info from the agents for your HBA, SAN switch, and MSA. For the PMP you have to assign licenses to your MSA and servers. Enclosed is a screen shot of our HP SIM Storage Systems page after getting the SMI-S agents going...

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/smisproviders.html