1757018 Members
2137 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion

Not easy to find things of interest on the Community site

Joncheng Kuo
Occasional Advisor

Not easy to find things of interest on the Community site

As a novice user to the Community (but not a novice user to the web), I found that's it's really difficult to find things in the Community -- either through search or through navigation.

I understand that this Community site contains many things from many groups; each group/people has its own way of naming and organizing things. However, I feel that a big source of the problems come from the Community site platform itself. I personally feel very confused about the top-level "things" of the site, namely, Discussion Boards, Blogs, and Community Knowledge Base. It's not very clear how they differ from each other and which one I should use when I try to navigate or search. Besides, this Community site also has many forums. I don't know whether these forums belong to one of the three named above or they are something totally different but not listed as a top-level "thing". In short, the lack of distinctions between these top-level "things" make it really difficult to navigate and find things on this Community site. I think people who are setting up "things" on this site may face the same issue too.

1 REPLY 1
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Not easy to find things of interest on the Community site

>namely, Discussion Boards, Blogs, and Community Knowledge Base

Ignore them unless you know where you are going.  I only use Boards.

You want Boards.  And probably not blogs or KB.

Unless you are interested in blogs.  Knowledge Base are articles where a solution is packaged up to make it easy to understand and use.

Have you looked at the FAQ for a descriptions of those?

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage

>I don't know whether these forums belong to one of the three named above

The correct terminology is boards and once you know that, you know which menu to pick.  :-)

Categories are containers of sub-categories, boards (and blogs).