Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Database to FTP

Rafael Arjonilla
Occasional Visitor

Backup Database to FTP

Is it any way to backup a database (SYBASE) to a FTP? dont have TAPE and would like to do this procedure automatically.

Thanks.
1 REPLY
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Backup Database to FTP

This would not be my method of choice for a vital database but I can at least get you started.

This link points to a thread which contains one of my Perl scripts to automate a transfer and do error checking and automatic retransmission of bad files. That is a vital part of your project and Perl using the Net::FTP module is the way to do this.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xe1f756bd90a9d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

This is certainly not a complete solution. You will need to: 1) shutdown the database 2) Create a list of files 3) Call the Perl script
(after changing login/password/hostname to suit your needs) with the list of filenames
4) Restart the database.

Plan B.

Export the files via NFS and back them up to a tape drive on the remote host. (You still ned to shutdown the database.)

Plan C.

Look into fbackup. If this is an HP-UX to HP-UX backup, fbackup can access the remote host's tape drive. Man fbackup for details.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.