Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CDROM - Not a valid boot device

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

CDROM - Not a valid boot device

Hi all,
I have 2 older systems AMD 586 400 and an Intel PII 233 both loaded with Red Hat 7.2
Both of which I was able to install successfully through the CD-ROM.
However, when I attempt to mount the CDROM It return a mount failure error stating:
Not a valid block device.

I have tried various versions of the command including -t iso9660 and recreating the device file all with the same result.

The dev file is for a secondary master CDROM
brw-rw---- root disk 22, 0 /dev/hdc
on both. The /mnt/cdrom directory is valid and there is mountable media in the CDROM drives.
(Unfortunately, I do not know the exact model of either CDROM drive off the top of my head.

If anyone has had this issue and knows of a resolution, I would appreciate it. I will work on these systems again on Friday and will post points at that time, but am eager to learn of anyone's simailar experiences.
Thank you,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
3 REPLIES
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: CDROM - Not a valid boot device

Kelli,

This sounds like just the thing
http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/67/lev3/70/pid/619/qid/226837

the gist of the above is that you need to

# /sbin/depmod -ae

to get the kernel to properly resolve dependencies.

hth

Mark
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Mark!
That sounds like just what I need.
I will run this tomorrow and post points at that time.
Hopefully that will be okay.
Thanks again,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Mark.
That was just what the doctor ordered.
CD-ROM works great!
Kel