5110 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CPU utilization

Oviwan
Honored Contributor

Re: CPU utilization

hey

for a rdbms it's the best if the cpu is at 100% used by oracle processes. so oracle gets the data most likely from the SGA, so the disk I/O are reduced. hence to reduce your cpu utilization, reduce the SGA then you will get more disk I/O's but this would be senseless.

Regards
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Hein:

I would agree with ashan that %wio is too high. But I also wonder how reliable sar is to glance. 'Sar' can and does report incorrect data.

zsujith:

Compare your %wio with glance and see how similar they are.

%wio is in measure of disk i/o wait time. But this is going to vary with disk array cache size, disk rotation, raid, o/s, etc.

Hein:

Please restrict your replys to the rules of the forum and respond to the author of the thread only. I've seen too many of your replys directed to other forum members. Bad business. Don't be so prideful.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
zsujith
Frequent Advisor

Thank You Michle,

I couldn├в t reduce the waiting for I/O, How ever I understand that disk speed is one of the possible causes for WIO. As my understand disk striping may reduce the waiting for I/O.

Please correct me...

Thanks
Sujith
"The most wasted day is that in which we have not laughed."
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Disk stripping will reduce i/o. Load balancing across more spindles. One extent gets written to the first, the 2nd extent gets written to the 2nd, the 3rd to the 1st, and so on.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law