5028 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot connect to Database Oracle Error -1033

Pine
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

as Yogeeraj suggested, I am now trying to do a Backup.

As I have no experience, I made a test first on another machine (a B2000 also running HP-UX 10.20) with a similar application.

I used the following command with the following result:

# dd if=/dev/dsk/c2t6d0 of=/dev/rmt/0mn bs=1024k
I/O error
8306+0 records in
8305+1 records out
#

What is the error here?
Is this the correct command to do a backup?

Regards

Pine

Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

at the oracle level, there are three ways that you can perform your backup.

1. Export (not recommended)
2. Online Oracle backup using RMAN (need a special setup)
3. Shutdown the database and backup the datafiles using OS utilities.

For option 1.
============
exp system/ file=exp.dmp full=y

For option 3.
=============
if you are not using raw device, you can just copy the datafiles. If you want to know which datafiles you are using, you can issue the command: "alter database using backup controlfile to trace;" at the sql prompt and view the log file generated in the udump directory.

if you need any further help, do let us know

kind regards
yogeeraj

PS. please dont forget to assign points so that you get more responses from others experts here. http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/pageList.do?userId=BR883087&listType=unassigned&forumId=1

No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Ralf Seefeldt
Valued Contributor

Hello Pine,

please try to create a backup without the problem filesystem.

For /dev/dsk/c2t6d0:
- if you have lvols, try to back them up seperatedly
- try to repeat your dd command. Does it fail at the same block?
- try to copy only the first 8505 blocks with 'dd if=/dev/dsk/c2t6d0 of=/dev/rmt/0mn bs=1024k count=8305'
- try to find information about the size of the bad area with playing with the command
'dd if=/dev/dsk/c2t6d0 of=/dev/rmt/0mn bs=1024k skip=8306 count=10'
- try to copy the disk behind the bad block with 'dd if=/dev/dsk/c2t6d0 of=/dev/rmt/0mn bs=1024k skip=8305'
- if there is a bad spot on your disk, you can mark it as bad for the filesystem with "bad block allocation" but don't ask me how
- you may recreate the lvol and and place a seperate lvol in top of your bad block.
This will work fine if you realy have a bad area on your disk, do not want to buy a new one and the bad area does not grow in size.
- As far as I know - I am not a oracle-expert - you do not need .trc-files to start oracle. If so, you simply could delete that
file and try again. But get some information first, whether or not you realy do not need this file.

I hope, this is of some help for you.

Regards
Ralf
Simon Wickham_6
Regular Advisor

Hi,

First, Check your alert_SID.log file. You will get hints. You got the error ORA-01033 because you tried to login immediately after issuing shutdown command.

Try it once more.

Regards,
Simon