2709 Online
108859 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL 180 G5 + E200 + RHEL 5.3 install problems

Bob Chojnacki
Occasional Advisor

DL 180 G5 + E200 + RHEL 5.3 install problems

Hi,

I have a new DL 180 G5, which I just threw in a SmartArray E200 RAID controller. I am trying to install RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.3 (x64). I am able to boot up off of the DVD, go through the start of the install process. I enter the RedHat license info and then I get a

File "/usb/lib/anaconda/isys.py", Line 112 in raidsbFromDevice

I scroll down a little and it says

OSError [Error 6] No such device or address: /dev/cciss/c0d0p2

And I can not get any further. (Normally at this point I would set up partitions, et cetera.)

I have 4 500GB SATA drives. I configured (I hope correctly) the four drives for RAID 1+0. I disconnected the old SATA cables, and tried the DVD drive in ports SATA1 and SATA5 on the motherboard.

This is the first time I have ever used a RAID controller on a proliant.

FYI, I was able to install RHEL 5.3 on this box with software RAID as a test.

Help.

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Bob Chojnacki
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL 180 G5 + E200 + RHEL 5.3 install problems

There is an interesting message when I try to install SUSE Enterprise 11 Server on this server:

"YaST2:

The partitioning on disk /dev/cciss/c0d0 is not readable by the partitioning tool parted, which is used to change the partitioning table.

You can use the partitions on disk /dev/cciss/c0d0 as they are. You can format them and assign mount points to them, but you cannot add, edit, resize, or remove partitions from that disk with this tool."

Hope this provides more clues.
Bob Chojnacki
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL 180 G5 + E200 + RHEL 5.3 install problems

It turns out that the install process did not like the partitioning data on the hard drives that was there when I tested it with software RAID. What I did was run fdisk via a SUSE install CD, then Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get a command line prompt after SUSE was booted up, then run fdisk to delete all partitions.

I was then able to install RedHat no problem.