1756507 Members
2555 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disk Space Error

David Tang_1
Advisor

Disk Space Error

I have a workstation running hp-ux10.2. The problem is that when i do a bdf, one of the logical volume's hard disk space does not tally up. The addition of used and avail is less than the value under kbytes. May I know if there is anyway I can recover these 'lost' space?
The physical hard disk only have one logical volume.
5 REPLIES 5
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Disk Space Error

bdf is known for not being so accurate. There are other ways to tally up your diskspace, use du -sk instead. This gives results in Kbytes and is much more accurate, or use df.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Check this previous thread for contributions and steps to address this issue: http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xbf587e990647d4118fee0090279cd0f9,00.html
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

bdf is very accurate, however, it can be miss leading. Used + Free doesn't equal Total. This is because the overhead of the filesystem isn't included in Used or Free but is in Total.

du will always equal the used in bdf unless you've mounted over some files and then bdf will be higher.

You may want to look at fstyp -v and see what that gives too. That is where bdf gets it's info from (hence why it's right). If you have any questions still, post the output from fstyp and bdf for the filesystem your concerned about.

Also, if it's hfs it will have a minfree value. This will be 10% by default and is again not shown in used/free.
David Tang_1
Advisor

The funny thing is that if i use bdf, i get a total of 2047673 whereas if i use df -k i get the total as 1842905. So which is the right one??
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

If you look at fstyp -v as well, you'll see that bdf matches the value of f_blocks (total blocks in the filesystem).

bdf is reporting the total size of the filesystem (including the overhead for it's structure etc (so the inodes and), where as df -k is only reporting on the usable space.