3038 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Enabling of Ports

panchpan
Regular Advisor

Enabling of Ports

Hello.
I use a UI called BRIO with port # 4008 to connect to HP-UX server and it allows connection to server's application. I wish to now access another application installed on another HPUX machine via BRIO and using same port. Could you please advice what all changes or modifications required to be made on another server inorder to access its application on specific port.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: Enabling of Ports

Hi,
the port is a 'window' onto the machine, behinfd which you need to run a server to pick up the connection you make through the window.
So you need in enrty in /etc/services and have to start the 'brio server' to listen for your connect.
panchpan
Regular Advisor

Hello.
The entries are made into /etc/services but when i use command #netstan -an | grep 2701 I do not get any output , which means port is not yet opened.
What must be done next?

THANKS
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi again,
have you gort your brio daemon running ?
Then do a inetd -c to reload the services.

Just remembered, also make sure there is no firwall blocking that port.
panchpan
Regular Advisor

1) How to check brio daemon running?
2) Should any entries must be made to /etc/inetd.conf and /var/adm/inetd.sec
3) Can I just use given command to restart services?

Thanks
sachit patil
Regular Advisor

to check that daemon
#ps -ef | grep brio
or restart that service
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

If your daemon is running it should have a listening socket.
Assign your Brio port to $port and run

e.g.

port=11111
netstat -an -f inet|awk -v p=$port '$NF~/LISTEN/ && match($4,"." p "$")'
Madness, thy name is system administration
panchpan
Regular Advisor

Hello,
i do not get any output, I believe the port is not yet enabled. I am not getting what must be done to open port except putting the entries in /etc/services?

thanks
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Simply addind a service to /etc/services
wouldn't open a port at all.
This file is only there for programs which use the getserv* syscalls to e.g. get port numbers resolved.
Actually, you need a server process (often also referred to as a daemon) that binds to a listening socket for incoming requests at its port.
This can either be a stand alone daemon, or one which relies on a "proxy" like (x)inetd and requires less programmatic effort.
You need to find out how your Brio service (sorry, I have no idea what this is for) needs to get started.
This should clearly be mentioned in the installation doc for this program.
Many programs even let you the choice between stand alone, and the "proxy" initializer (mostly depending on the anticipated demand).
Madness, thy name is system administration