108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPUX Startup Scripts for Informix

SOLVED
Go to solution
TIM WILSON
Occasional Contributor

HPUX Startup Scripts for Informix

I need to add startup for a new instance of Informix. I thought I could start the new instance along with a couple of other programs like oplrqb (openlink), isa (informix sys admin), and another client/server related product. I am getting errors at bootup. Do I have to have a separate file in /sbin/init.d for every instance/program? I also cannot locate a kill file in /sbin/rc?.d for the startup script that has been running all along. I am trying to get this to work right now and would appreciate any help at all.
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: HPUX Startup Scripts for Informix

Tim:

If you haven't read, read either of these documents:

/usr/share/doc/start_up.txt

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/os/startup.html

The file /sbin/init.d/template is a good starting place for making your own start/stop scripts.

The /sbin/init.d directory contains all scripts used to startup and shutdown various subsystems.

Each script under /sbin/init.d should perform BOTH the startup and shutdown functions. In order to control the functionality within the script, each must also support standard arguments and exit codes. Scripts must be written for the POSIX shell. A template script may be found in /sbin/init.d/template.

There is no reason why the startup and shutdown script cannot start/kill multiple, but related processes. Remember to choose the appropriate rc.d directory -- one (1) is for core services; two (2) is for multiuser run-state; three (3) is for networked, multi-user; and four (4) is for graphical interfaces. Depending on the processes you are starting, or stopping, you want to make sure prerequisite services exist.

Each script in /sbin/init.d performs BOTH the startup and shutdown functions, and each will have two links pointing towards the script from /sbin/rc*.d: one for the start action and one for the stop action.

Start scripts begin with "S"; Kill (stop) scripts begin with "K". The order of execution for kill scripts is the reverse of the startup ones.

Subsystems are killed in the opposite order they were started. This implies that kill scripts will generally not have the same numbers as their start script counterparts. For example, if two subsystems must be started in a given order due to dependencies (e.g., S111sys1 followed by S222uses_sys1), the counterparts to these scripts must be numbered so that the subsystems are stopped in the opposite order in which they were started (e.g., K555uses_sys1 followed by K777sys1).

Also, kill scripts for start scripts in directory /sbin/rcN.d reside in /sbin/rc(N-1).d. For example /sbin/rc3.d/S123system2 and /sbin/rc2.d/K654system2 might be start/kill counterparts.

...JRF...
TIM WILSON
Occasional Contributor

I have a program /usr/openlink/bin/oplrqb which is our Openlink ODBC host program. It does not accept the start/stop parameters. Other than killing the process (which happens at shutdown anyway) I don't have a method of killing the program. Presently, I am not including a "stop" portion in the /sbin/init.d script and not creating a "kill" link in the /sbin/rc?.d directory. I am also using separate scripts to start my 2 Informix instances. Unfortunately, I have a memory error when trying to oninit the second instance so I will have to wait until Monday to talk to Informix about that and I am not able to completely test whether my boot process will work.
Doug_3
Frequent Advisor

Tim,
Look for the oplshut program which should terminate gracefully the session.

You can check the possible parameters from Openlink:

http://www.openlinksw.com/info/docs/rel3doc/servadm.htm#BrokerInfoViaCommandLine

Our configuration includes a web component which is invoked by:

http://10.1.0.16:8000/

substitute your internal IP for 10.1.0.16. This service can re-initailize the broker and perform other admin and config tasks.

hth
Doug