Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change NIS user password

Chakravarthi
Trusted Contributor

How to change NIS user password

Hi,

when i try to change Nis user password i get the following error message in /var/log/messages

PAM_pwdb[4766]: cannot update default database for user

i'm using redhat 6.2 with 2.2.14-6.1.1 kernel

regards
chakri
3 REPLIES
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Re: How to change NIS user password

Assuming you've configured NIS correctly, and are sharing the password file from a remote system, and have the 'yppasswdd' service enabled and running, it should work.

I also assume you've got /etc/nsswitch.conf's "passwd:" entry pointing to 'nis' or 'nisplus' first?

What command are you using to change the password? The 'passwd' command directly, or using the 'yppwasswd' utility?
One long-haired git at your service...
Chakravarthi
Trusted Contributor

using yppasswd getting the following error,

Error while changing the NIS password.
The NIS password has not been changed on insure.

any good doc on configuring NIS on linux

Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

NIS-HOWTO ?

Try http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag/node130.html as well, as it (and subsequent page) might be of some help.

Unfortunately, I've only set up NIS once as a quick test in the office (go HA testing!). I don't know enough about it to help much more.

Sorry.
One long-haired git at your service...