Operating System - Linux
1757422 Members
2541 Online
108860 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to check e-mail from MS Exchange Server with Linux?

kenneth_2

How to check e-mail from MS Exchange Server with Linux?

My company is using MS Exchange Server as mail gateway. How can I check e-mail with a Linux Box? Please help. Thanks a lot
6 REPLIES 6
Laurent Paumier
Trusted Contributor

You should be able to use imap or pop to fetch incoming mail from your exchange server and smtp to send outgoing mail through this server.
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

You have two possibilities, with different advantages and disadvantages.

Probably the easiest way is to enable OWA (Outlook Web Access) on your Exchange server. Then a web browser is all you'll need to access your Exchange mailbox, plus Public Folders and one or two other things. Performance is okay but you won't have access to any advanced features.

The other way is to enable POP3 on the Exchange server and use whatever Linux e-mail client you prefer to send/receive to Exchange.

I suppose it is also possible to use one of the Window$ emulators and try to use the "real" Outlook client but I don't know anyone who has tried this.

HTH,
Paul
Jeff Gunnink
Advisor

I use Kmail. My settings in kmail are to use fetchmail as the precommand for the exchange server. Fetchmail will get email from exchange if imap is enabled on it. For sending mail I have it set to send though SMTP though the same exchange server. Everything seems to work fine this way.
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello Kenneth,

My company (HP) is doing the same. Under Linux, I tried all possible e-mail clients, and they all work. The one I'm using now is Netscape Communicator.
However, you may have to use a special syntax to authenticate against the exchange server :

user : NT_DOMAIN/nt_login/email_login
pass : nt_password

Good luck.

Kodjo Agbenu
Learn and explain...
Alan Deger
Trusted Contributor

And finally there is Linux client that uses IMAP4 or POP3 services on Exchange Server and can also hook with the scheduling (and contact?) information on Exchange.

This is payware. I haven't tried it but have looked at the website (www.bynari.net)

Best of luck,
al
Larry Levy_1

This is not a guarantee, but for what it's worth ---
I've barely installed a new program called 'evolution'
It purports to be an Outlook workalike....
Since I don't use GNOME a lot, I can't testify to it's effectiveness, but you might give it a try.
Larry