2223 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to restore RAW database in file system

Robin_45
Occasional Advisor

How to restore RAW database in file system

Hi All

My current scenario is two hp 9000 server(rp 7420) under RAC and 350 GB RAW disk is shared by this two sever, now we take backup this 350 GB with Legato. Now we like to restore the RAW space to another server in file system. Is it possible ? if it is possible can any one tell us what is the procedure.

Thanks and Regards
Robin
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

A raw volume is just that: no files, nothing but random data that only makes sense to Oracle. Legato has the ability to restore a raw volume on any machine but it would be meaningless in a 'filesystem'. If you want to convert from raw volumes in Oracle to filesystems, you'll have to perform a database export, then redo the Oracle config files for the new data layout and import the data on the new system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi robin,

i am not an expert in this field. One workaround would be to use RMAN for backup and
forget about raw or cooked file systems.

recovery is much easier in this case.

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Robin_45
Occasional Advisor

Hi Bill Hassell

Thanks for your replay if we have to export and redo the oracle file than what is the use of Legato however if we want to restore in another server in RAW space(same in 350 GB) can you tell me the procedure. I mean do we have to create ALL logical volume (same name) under the VG. Then restore through Legato.

Thanks and Regards
Robin
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You will first need to create new raw volumes on the target server and make sure that each raw volumes is at least as large as its original counterpart. It will make things significantly easier for you if you name the new LVOL's exactly as the originals.

You have now discovered the downside of raw volumes. The only UNIX tool to restore them is dd --- not an acceptable backup solution for a production environment. Data Protector, Netbackup, and Legato do support raw volume restores but probably the least evil approach for you is RMAN.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
JJ_4
Frequent Advisor

What about using symbolic links to start with?

Then on the target, you can just create the symbolic links to point to whereever.
Not enough Zappa makes you sad.