1752781 Members
5983 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Keyboard Setup?

So you can use bash - but what happens when you're working on another box where it's not installed (or in single user mode)?

There are all sorts of tools out there that can enhance productivity, but a good sysadmin should be able to admin a box successfully in its "virgin" state - on HP-UX that means using the POSIX shell, and using vi style command line editing - so like vi, we press ESC to exit input mode, and then use h, j, k, and l to navigate left, down, up and right respectively, and then use the normal vi commands to go back to input mode (such as i to insert a to append or cw to change a word). To get all this to work by default for the roor user just make sure the following lines are included in root's .profile

export HISTFILE=/.sh_history
export HISTSIZE=1000

That will keep the last 1000 commands entered by root

I'm surprised about a bunch of UNIX tutors complaining about this! They should have known better.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Tom Henning
Trusted Contributor

matey> That is why I am here asking the experts before trying things on our production server.

One piece of advise: don't try things on the production box. If you "try something" and manage to break the production box, people are going to be upset with you. Use a development/training box, if you have one and if you don't try to find one. I understand that some somewhat older hardware can be found on ebay for quite reasonable pricing, if that is a problem.

At the very least, if you must use the production box use a test account as a normal user. Be extremely careful with the root account.

My 0.02 US Dollars worth.

And please assign points if you find the replies useful.
What is it that possesses otherwise sane individuals to change something just because it has not been changed in a while?
Matey
Occasional Advisor

Thank You All:
OldSchool
Duncan and
Tom Henning

For taking the time and posting complete replies.
This is a great place.
:-)
One question tho.
As Tom said (and he is right) the Production server should never be used to test or play around...

so is there a way I could do the my testings?
(like the Linux in Windows sort of thing)?
Anyways thanks a lot!
btw lol @ 2 cents in USD (dollars worth)
:D
I hope I am alive to see the day that all moneys have gold and silver backing. as for these information they are already gold to me.
thanks a lot!