1754253 Members
3426 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Memory discrepancies

Mike Terryberry

Memory discrepancies

My company has a 6L that we would like to perform a memory upgrade on. However, the site that lists the upgrade specifications is contradictory (http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpl01981.html).

At the top of the page, it lists 1, 2, and 4 Meg memory SIMMS for the 6L, and also mentions an 8 Meg memory SIMM that you can purchase from Kingston.

Further down the page it lists 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16 Meg SIMMS for, among those listed, the HP 6L. First of all, why would they recommend buying an 8 Meg SIMM from Kingston if they sell one for the same unit? And second, if indeed the 8 and 16 Meg SIMMS are compatible with the 6L, why are they not included in the first list, as opposed to the second?

Has anyone out there done a memory upgrade on a 6L, and if so, how much memory did you install? Do the 8 and 16 Meg SIMMS listed on this page work in the 6L, or is that a mistake on HP's part?
2 REPLIES 2
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Re: Memory discrepancies

You have placed your query into the forum for the HP Unix Operating System.
You need to contact the printer support forum in
http://forum.support.hp.com:5050/cgi-bin/escforum/show?PIPSERV=0&ROOT=53110&MSG=53110&T=consumer_index
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Memory discrepancies

The page in question says for the 5L and 6L families you can obtain 1,2,4 MB Ram from HP (and 8 MB from kingston), but it goes on to break this down by exact model of printer; (if your model isnt listed below then you can only have 1,2,4,8 MB Simms)

4P/4MP, 4 Plus/4M Plus, 4V/4MV, 5P/5MP, 5/5se/5M/5N, 5Si/5Si MX, 5Si Mopier, and 6P/6MP Can all have 1,2,4,8 and 16 MB from HP.

and IIISi, 4/4M and 4Si/4Si MX can have only an 8 MB module from HP.

and the 4L printer has a 1-MB memory upgrade.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...