108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrating from 11 to 11i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Emilio Nunez
Occasional Contributor

Migrating from 11 to 11i

Hi friends, I have a N4000 HPUX 11.0 server, and I would like to know about you recommendation about 11i, I have oracle 817 running in the server..I know 11i is mostly recommended for NS Servers like superdome...thanks a lot..
5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: Migrating from 11 to 11i

I've been moving everything I have (both workstations and servers) to 11i as the chance presents itself via the cold-install method. No ill effects noted other than some increased demand on memory. In my book, 11i is newer, better, more solid and more secure.

Pete

Pete
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

The 11 to 11i is pretty clean (when compared to the 10.x to 11 upgrade), so you can either upgrade or do a cold install - your choice. If you choose to upgrade, make sure you have the latest LVM patches installed.

HTH
Marty
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Well, 11.0 is getting rather old (1997) and 11.11 is solid now. The buffer cache behaves much better in 11.11 and dynamic kernel tuning (in its current limited way) is a plus.

You are not going to see big differences in performance either way but my policy is to migrate to 11.11 as soon as application software permits it. Oracle 8.1.7 run fine in eith environment.

The good news is that unlike the 10.20 to 11.0 upgrade the 11.0 to 11.11 upgrade actually works - if you configured your system with enough space in /stand and /. If you used the default sizes then don't even consider an upgrade; do a cold install.

Most people will tell you to do a cold install in all cases but the upgrade does work (and is your only option if you must do a ServiceGuard rolling upgrade).

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Aside from the more robout features and security inherent in 11.11, this is probably not a bad idea. HP recently announced the timeline for the discontinuance and obsolence of 11.0. You will note that 11.0 will not be orderable after February 28, 2004 -- in about 12-months, although it will be supported until the end of 2006.

http://www.software.hp.com/RELEASES-MEDIA/history/slide2.html

Regards!

...JRF...
monasingh_1
Trusted Contributor

Just remember that various components of oracle will need to be recompiled as well.