New Discussion юеВ

Modifying the rhost file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amrit_1
Advisor

Modifying the rhost file

Hi,

I needed to ftp a file from my local machine to a remote machine. Hence, I need to modify the .rhosts file on the remote machine. While doing this operation, I am adding the following entries:

a. hostIP address userid
b. + root

I am skeptically about adding the second entry since it would give access to everyone and this would result in a major security breach.
In short, is it sufficient to add only the first entry.

Also, what is the difference between
+ + and + root entry in the .rhosts file.
8 REPLIES 8
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Modifying the rhost file

You don't need a .rhosts entry to ftp a file.

You need to look at /etc/ftpd/ftpusers or ftpaccess or /var/adm/inetd.sec if you are not being allowed to ftp.

Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You need not to modify .rhost file for enabling ftp access. .rhost file is not playing any role in ftp.
you may require to modify /etc/ftpuser to control ftp access or inetd.sec file.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

that's correct. You need .rhosts for rsh, rcp, rlogin and the like but not for ftp.

Michael
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Armit for ftp you need a .netrc file. But this is a big secutiry risc, couse if contains a servername, username and passwd. I would suggest you use SCP. I am sure SEP will post you a howto.

Gideon
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

+ + would mean -->any user from any host can login

+ root -->user root from any host can login.

as stated do not use .rhosts file for ftp.
Amrit_1
Advisor

Apart from ftp, I am also executing the rexec and remsh command and hence need to add a entry in the rhost file. Under this scenario, is there any need to have the "+ root" entry in the .rhosts file or would it be sufficient to have userid.

Also, while ftping is it compulsory to have the entry in the /etc/ftpuser file.

One last thing, I was checking my HP-UX 11i and there is not ftpuser file present in the /etc/ftpd nor is there a /var/adm/inetd.sec file.
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

hostname and user name is just fine for the "r" commands

if ftpusers exists then only the users mentioned in it can ftp. Otherwise all users can.

/var/adm/inetd.sec should exists but if it doesn't then it just means that anybody can use ftp too.

One common problem is that the user's shell must appear in /etc/shells for ftp to work.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Fist column in .rhosts/hosts.equiv file is for hostname/IP address and second is user name.

if you give + in both column meance every user from every hosts and it can be a security concern so always use

Hostname Username

/etc/ftpuser file is for blocking perticular user to gain ftp access. it is optional file and you can create it using vi.
in this file you have to mention username only one per line.
/var/adm/inetd.sec should be there by default.

Sunil

*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***