5970 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No buffer space available

Abdul Majeed Lardhi
Regular Advisor

No buffer space available

Hi
I got this message in Oracle Log file. Any one knows why this message and what is means ?

TNS-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection
TNS-12533: TNS:illegal ADDRESS parameters
20-JUN-2004 14:46:28 * 12560
TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
HPUX Error: 233: No buffer space available

Regards
6 REPLIES 6
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Time to reviev your kernel parameters.
See the doc attached.
Hope that helps.

Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Check this thread as well:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=225228

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
malay boy
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
This I dig from metalink.oracle.com.Hope this will help :

~~~~~~
Oracle8i Server version 8.1.5 or higher
Oracle9i Net Listener version 9.0.1 or higher
Multi-Threaded Server/Shared Server is used
Symptom(s)
~~~~~~~~~~
Oracle9i Listener hangs when connecting to Oracle8i database
Occational TNS-12518 errors occur and Listener hangs
ORA-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection
Cause
~~~~~~~
The problem occurs due to [BUG:2523190] i.e. parameter
DIRECT_HANDOFF_TTC_=ON exists in the LISTENER.ORA file.
Fix
~~~~
The workaround is to turn off Listener direct handoff by adding parameter
DIRECT_HANDOFF_TTC_=OFF to the LISTENER.ORA, then restart
the Listener.
There are three person in my team-Me ,myself and I.
Abdul Majeed Lardhi
Regular Advisor

I am sory I forget to mention that we are using Oracle 9i not 8i

regards
Abdul Majeed
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Abdul Majeed,

The error stack as mB mentioned,could be due to a BUG. And this might had lead to the error No buffer space available
Error: ORA-12518 / TNS-12518 Text: TNS:listenercould not hand off client connection, the reason could be that the process of handing off a client connection to another process failed.

Oracle says the problem occurs due to <2523190> (base <2421734>, i.e. parameter DIRECT_HANDOFF_TTC_=ON exists in the LISTENER.ORA file

Check the alert log to make sure the database is not reporting a problem as it could be PMON's service update with the listener that is triggering the block. Turn on listener tracing and re-execute the operation. Verify that the listener and database instance are properly configured for direct handoff.

The problem can be worked around by configuring dispatcher(s) to specifically handle the desired presentation(s), and connecting directly to the dispatcher, bypassing the listener.

The workaround is to turn off Listener direct handoff by adding parameter DIRECT_HANDOFF_TTC_=OFF to the LISTENER.ORA, then restart the Listener.

Or the other area to check for the error
TNS-12533: TNS:illegal ADDRESS parameters if the above does not apply is refer to the attachment.

I hope this helps.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
rick jones
Honored Contributor

If you can use someting like tusc to see that the ENOBUFS is coming from an accept() call, then there may not be anything particularly wrong.

in the HP-UX 11 and later TCP code, if a client gives-up on a connection before the server has gotten arround to calling accept() for that connection, when accept() _is_ called, an ENOBUFS will be returned. there is no actual memory shortage - ENOBUFS was chosen as it was an already documented, expected, non-fatal error.

now, if there is an "error" here it would be that the application is not keeping-up, or the client is being too impatient. either way, it would be consistent with situations of high load.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows