108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ORA-03113 error after restoring from backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Griffin
Advisor

ORA-03113 error after restoring from backup

We're currently conducting a disaster recovery test of one of our systems, and have succesfully restored all Oracle files and the datafiles for our database. After restoring the Oracle files from tape, I did a relink all and it completed succesfully. However, as soon as I try to start svrmgrl, I get the good old "ORA-03113:End-of-file on communication channel" error. "Connect internal" returns the same error, "startup" returns it, etc. etc. Sqlplus does the same thing.

I've gone through Oracle's checklist for troubleshooting ORA-03113 errors and they didn't solve the issue. I've tried relinking, making ins_rdbms.mk, make the net8 files, etc. I'm all out of ideas (and energy, we're now 13 hours in to this test)- any suggestions?

Oh, the stats:

HP-UX 11.00 64bit
Production system: N4000
DR system: M580
Oracle 8.1.7 64bit
Local console
4 REPLIES 4
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: ORA-03113 error after restoring from backup

What is an M580 that you are using for Disaster Recovery?? If I'm not mistaken it's an IBM M580 AIX box!

You can not simply restore a database from ONE hardware/OS vendor and restore it to ANOTHERS and have it work. It doesn't work that way. Each database version on each OS is different. They are not compatible.

You have to EXPORT the data from the HP and IMPORT it into the IBM. You have to have PROGRAMS that run on an AIX box. The programs from HP will NOT work.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Andrew Griffin
Advisor

I'm sorry - it is an HP-UX box, it's a K580.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

thank goodness you aren't doing that!

I'm not too sure that the code from a PA 2 risc processor will work on a pa 1.1 risc processor, but I could be wrong! But that aside, have you looked at this:

http://www.oracle-error.com/ora-03113.htm

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Andrew Griffin
Advisor

Thanks for the link! We increased SHMMAX and it worked. Thanks!