1752618 Members
4772 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle Linking Errors

Alex Knoll
Occasional Contributor

Oracle Linking Errors

I have installed Oracle Enterprise Server 8.1.6 (64-bit) on HP-UX 11. I am experiencing "Out of memory" errors while trying to link the ORACLE executable. I have 2GB of RAM and swap of 2GB. However, my concern is that /tmp, at only 60MB, is too small. If anyone would verify that /tmp is the problem, I would be very appreciative.
Don't merely exist, live life...
6 REPLIES 6
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle Linking Errors

you probably haven't changed the kernel parameters maxdsiz or maxdsiz_64bit.

As the C compiler it's self is 32bit, you'll probably need to change maxdsiz
Alex Knoll
Occasional Contributor

The two parameters in question are:
maxdsiz 67108864
maxdsiz_64bit 1073741824

Are these sizes too small?

Thanks
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Hi Alex,

The problem is your shared memory kernel configuration values are low. See attached sample of my kernel parameters for a K580 running HPUX 10.20.
/tmp is not the problem, anyway you can still increase it to 100mb as follows:
1.Do bdf to get filesystem for /tmp.
2.Boot to single user mode through ISL
3.lvextend -L 100 /dev/vg00/lvoln (for /tmp)
4.extendfs -F vxfs /dev/vg00/lvoln
5.Reboot
6. Reconfigure the kernel with increased values.

Cheers!
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Alex,

Increase maxdsiz to 1Gb and look at the attached kernel parameters above.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Gulam Mohiuddin
Regular Advisor

I have also faced same problem when I installed Oracle 8.1.6 32 Bit on HP-UX 64Bit.

That time bdf showed /tmp dir 100% used and also Oracle Home mount point 100% used. I was haveing my /tmp directory of size 100MB.

I contaced Oracle support and they told me to include some environment variables like TMPDIR , TMP_DIR, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and ORACLE_BASE. After that, the installation was successful.

I hope this will may help you also. Please check all environment settings of Oracle user.

Oracle also recommends swap area of 2 to 3 times of you servers RAM and /tmp directory of at least 200MB or more.

Thanks,
Everyday Learning.
Alex Knoll
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all for your suggestions. It seems that the bumping up of the shared memory kernal parameters did the trick.

Thanks again!