1757725 Members
2284 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle and memory windows

Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

Oracle and memory windows

I am currently restriced to 32-bit Oracle so I want to use memory windows so I can have 2 x 1GB SGAs. I configures /etc/services.window so that each Oracle system has its own memory window and started the instances.
My application creates a number of servers each of which has its own dedicated Oracle shadow process. My understanding was that I would need to start the applictaion in the same memory windows as the corresponding Oracle system so that the shadow processes could see the Oracle shared memory because the shadow is a child of the application server process and not of Oracle. To test this I started the application without specifying a memory window id. I expected to get a memory access error but the application is running perfectly? How can this be?
3 REPLIES 3
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle and memory windows

Hello,
as far as i know the shadow process is a child of the listener, so if you started the listener in the proper memory windows, you will have no problem.

All communication goes thougt TCP, in any case, the only acccess to direct memory is from the server process.

You may have problem with the BEQ protocol, i think..

Massimo

Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

I am not running a listener.
I have used memwin_stats to look at an application process and its dedicated shadow. The interesting thing is that the two processes are use different memory windows. I started the Oracle system in user key 8 (kernel key 3) and the application in user key 7 (kernel key 2). memwin_stats shows that the shadow process in in the same memory window as the Oracle system which explains why it all works. I still do not know how it got there.
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor