Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle and /,/usr,/var

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Oracle and /,/usr,/var

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has a nice comprehensive list of all the OS partition places that Oracle database installations stuff their special files. I am not asking about ORACLE_BASE,_HOME,_TMPDIR,etc... I want to know about stuff that gets tucked into /usr,/var,

e.g. it looks like:

Some systems have stuff in: /etc/oracle/*

All systems that I have available have stuff in: /var/opt/oracle/*

Anywhere else? Thanks. Also, configurable?
6 REPLIES
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle and /,/usr,/var

I think those are configurable as long as you maintain a separate mount points for Oracle during installation. But /usr is already part of vg00 and you may need less 1GB space for Oracle.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor
Solution

Adam,
a quick scan of one of my systems shows,
beside the ORACLE_ directories you mentioned:

./etc/rc.config.d/oracle
./opt/hpws/apache
./opt/mysql/sql-bench/limits
./var/opt/oracle
./var/tmp/hsperfdata_oracle
./var/jail/wp_internet/opt/hpws/apache/htdocs./var/jail/wp_intranet/opt/hpws/apache/htdocs./sbin/init.d/oracle
./sbin/rc3.d/S710oracle
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Thanks, points to come later.

Any advice on approach for ServiceGuard installations (as regards all these side-show files?)? Is there a good doc link that you can provide.

Line of thought is that you need all that "stuff" on each node in an SG cluster to allow failover/startup to work.
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Additional context:

I am used to SSI systems like trucluster. Now I am trying to remind myself about package based HA systems like SG.
spex
Honored Contributor

Hi Adam,

My results are similar to Peter's with the addition of /etc/oratab, as well as the usual OS files for the "oracle" user (e.g. /var/spool/cron/crontabs/oracle).

I made use of this command:
# find /var -user oracle -group dba -print

PCS
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

there is also the startup script hich are usually found in:

/etc/rc.config.d/ora*
/sbin/rc*.d/*ora*

hope this helps too!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)