1748213 Members
2967 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with MUX card.

Igor Geletko

Problem with MUX card.

I have an J2049A MUX card installed on HP box (HP-UX 11.11). Serial device is connected to one of the ports. Our process sends messages to that serial device and receiving answers.

When this hardware was used on HP-UX 10.20 everything was Ok, but afer migration to another box with HP-UX 11.11 approximately 1 of 25 answers from serial device is lost.
BTW, there are two type of messages software process can send to the serial device. Messages of one type are successful 100%, problem is with second type messages only :(

I checked line between serial device and MUX and I saw that there is answer going from serial device, but software process doesn't know about it.

I suppose there is something wrong with MUX configuration. Can anybody give me an advice?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Igor Geletko
(gel@nomadsoft.com)
14 REPLIES 14
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with MUX card.

When you say one type of message versus another, exactly what do you mean? Is the message being lost, a lot longer than the one that can be received? If so, then it could be a buffering thing. Is this mux card certified to run on 11i?
Live Free or Die
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,
applying all latest patches and hardware support(XSWGHW....) from latest support CD may solve this problem.

never give up
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

I think ravi's suggestion is your best bet. Sure sounds like a bug..

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Are you sure you have the right part number: J2049A? I can't find any info on it. What class of machine was it taken from, and what class of machine was it put into?

thanks,
harry

live free or die
Live Free or Die
Igor Geletko

2 harry: First type of messages (which are ok) is:

1. 19 bytes request to serial device;
2. 7 bytes response from serial device;

Second type of messages is:
1. 42 bytes request;
2. 24 bytes response part 1;
3. 7 bytes response part 2;

I don't receive any response from serial (neither part1 or part2).

I'm not sure if this card is certified with 11.11 but it seems to be.

How can I check buffering settings of the card?

2ravi: Sorry for stupid question - Can you point me which patches are necessary and where can I download them.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Igor Geletko
(gel@nomadsoft.com)
Igor Geletko

It's "HP J2094A - 16 Modem MUX (16 ports)"

New box is K-class box. Old box was N-class.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

For patches, load the June 2001 for 11i.
Live Free or Die
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

It appears to be supported, which is good! Take a look at this link, and search on your card number: J2094A:

http://devresource.hp.com/STKLI/man/11iv1.5/termio_7.html

Look at the major and minor numbers on the tty device to make sure you are talking to it the way you were on the 10.20 box.

harry

live free or die
Live Free or Die
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Igor:

This actually sounds like classic handshaking problems - especially since the smaller 'first' type messages always work but the larger messages sometimes don't.

You need to do a stty -a < /dev/ttyxxx on the port in question and look especially at the ixoff,ixon,ixany settings and if using hardware handshake ctsxon and rtsxoff.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.