Jo_24
Occasional Advisor

Re: Problems with Win 95 and Compaq Shell

I've got a couple of errors when reloading:

Unrecognised command config.sys
There is an error in your config.sys file line 1
Code page operation not supported on this device
Device error during select.

Does this mean it didn't like the @echo off? I've removed the rem from the DEVICEHIGH=C:\Compaq\Support\dfilter.sys line as well, to see if that makes a difference.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Ok Jo,

Try turning the Memtest to off and see what will happen.

Let me know how it goes.I'm following up now.

Thanks
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Jo,

I've found this article good for you for future use and general education. Please save this link in your favorites.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/default.asp?url=/technet/archive/win95/rk17_tun.asp

Good luck again.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Jo_24
Occasional Advisor

Cheers! That's now sorted the problem out - it all reloads fine without errors now.

I'll take a look through the article - though not being a 'techie', I have already spotted bits where I don't understand all the words!

Thank you both for all your help.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

'@echo off' is only used in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

From DOS days, when the default was to display (echo) all of the commands and their output to the screen. ECHO OFF will turn off the echo, but the command itself displayed on-screen. The '@' sign was added somewhere around DOS 3.3 to hide the display of the 'echo off' command.

Also, the first three entries:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\Compaq\Support\dfilter.sys
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=E800-EFFF

shouldn't have DEVICEHIGH on them. HIGHMEM and EMM386 are the two drivers that create high memory and enable management of the memory.

DEVICE=C:\Compaq\Support\dfilter.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=E800-EFFF

Also, in Windows, you have a tool called System Info (Start, Accessories, System Tools, System Info) that will show you memory usage (and LOTS of other things).

You are including a range of memory (E800-EFFF). If you want to try to increase the amount of free conventional memory, using the tool, you can find other areas of memory that are NOT being used, and include them as well.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hi Jo again,

Jon is right about the @echo off, it is mostly used with batch files, when you write a dos script in a *.bat or in autoexec.bat which is a batch file.It has no effect within the windows configuration environment. You make a search in google for "@echo off tutorials".
However, if you want to optimize the memory in your PC, a good way is to install the memmaker utility which was used in DOS version. This utility will allow to optimize the memory the way you want and that's when your config.sys settings change.
here is a good step by step
article.
http://2fix.bvu.edu/help/apps/win95/E9J2HBQ9L.ASP

Sorry it's along time since I used Win95 and DOS. You may consider upgrading your OS to Win2K unless the applications you are using are only supported by Win95.

Thanks and good luck.
Jo_24
Occasional Advisor

Jon wrote:
>You are including a range of memory E800->EFFF). If you want to try to increase the >amount of free conventional memory, using the >tool, you can find other areas of memory that >are NOT being used, and include them as well.

How can I find which areas of memory aren't being used? When I go into the memory section of System Tools, this is what I get. Sadly it doesn't make a great deal of sense to me!

x00000000 - x0009FFFF System board extension for PnP BIOS
x000A0000 - x000AFFFF Compaq Presario
x000B0000 - x000BFFFF Compaq Presario
x000C0000 - x000C7FFF Compaq Presario
x000E0000 - x000E1FFF Motherboard resources
x000EE000 - x000EFFFF Motherboard resources
x000F0000 - x000FFFFF System board extension for PnP BIOS
x00100000 - x017FFFFF System board extension for PnP BIOS
x40000000 - x43FFFFFF Compaq Presario
x44000000 - x440000FF NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
xFFFE0000 - xFFFFFFFF Motherboard resources

Xman: I'll try the Dos program - will let you know how I get on! I did consider upgrading the OS, but with only a 1.75 G hard drive (of which I have 401 M left), I didn't think it would fit! And as the computer itself is now over 7 years old, I wasn't sure how much longer the rest of the computer's components would last, even if I installed a new hard drive.
Jo_24
Occasional Advisor

(And apologies for the arrows in the quoting of Jon's bit - I didn't realise that the reply form was that much narrower than the forum!)
Jo_24
Occasional Advisor

3rd post in a row! I'm afraid I can't install the Dos program - I don't have the Win 95 CD (I am at uni, and it is somewhere at home, hidden away in the frenzy of us moving house (sadly this has now been the state for 3 years!))
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

On the 95 CD is MSD (Microsoft Diagnostics) under "Memory", it will give you a visual chart of what is free and what is used.

\other\msd\msd.exe

send me an email and I'll send it to you.

js_finley@hotmail.com

BTW.. I thought that MEMMAKER was an old DOS utility 5.0 - 6.21 I can't find it on my 95 CD.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda