Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Probs mounting USB-device

Malycha
Occasional Contributor

Probs mounting USB-device

Hi all!
Some days ago I bought me an ARCHOS Jukebox Recorder for usage on journeys. My OS is SuSE-Linux 7.3 (kernel 2.4.10) on an HP OmniBook 4150b (P3/650). Now my problem: When I boot the system with the JB connectet ther's no problem. But when I connect it during work it is not always recognized.

The USB- and SCSI-support in the kernel is activated.

Does anyone can give me an advice
3 REPLIES
Craig Kelley
Valued Contributor

Re: Probs mounting USB-device

I'd note which kernel modules are installed when the device is working properly (lsmod) and then, if SuSE doesn't auto-detect it when it is hot-plugged, you can insert the particular module that configures the device manulally (modprobe). I do this with my flashcard reader all the time.
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello,

SuSE implements the USB hotplug using the "usbmgr" daemon.
In /etc/usbmgr, there are 2 configuration files :

=> "host" contains the USB driver to be used (usb-uhci or uhci or ohci or ehci).
Leave this untouched.

=> "usbmgr.conf" specifies to the usbmgr daemon information about which kernel module(s) to be loaded after a USB device is plugged.

For example to make my CD-Writer recognized, I had to add these lines :

# CD-Writer Plus 8220e/8230e [HP]
vendor 0x3f0 product 0x207 module scsi_mod, sr_mod, usb-storage

To obtain the vendor and product IDs of your JB, have a look in /var/log/messages or check "/proc/bus/usb/devices".

At last, make sure that usbmgr is automagically started at boot. In /etc/rc.config : START_USB="yes"

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Malycha
Occasional Contributor

I found a solution on my own:

This link may help - on my OB4150b now it works!

http://sdb.suse.com/en/sdb/html/uhci_73.html

Greetings
MM