Operating System - HP-UX
1751878 Members
5699 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Similar processes use different memory heap space in PA_RISC and Integrity Servers

Similar processes use different memory heap space in PA_RISC and Integrity Servers

We have a similar process compiled in jdk1.5 running in two different hp-ux box.one process uses PA_RISC and shows less RSS/VSS value than the process which uses IA64N.Kindly let me know the manner this two servers use memory heap space.Both box are of 64bits.
8 REPLIES 8
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Similar processes use different memory heap space in PA_RISC and Integrity Servers

I assume you are talking about the Java heap and not the libc heap?

It could be that java works differently on Integrity to get more performance. And for garbage collection.
How much different are the values?
Do you have maxdsiz the same on the two machines?

Thanks for the reply!!!

Please find below the details of the memory used by both the processes.
PA_RISC2.0 :-
Total RSS/VSS - 131.3mb/1.14gb
Mem - 83%
Swap - 42%
Test - 48kb/64kb
Data - 7.9mb/7.9mb

IA64N :-
Total RSS/VSS - 588.1mb/1.23gb
Mem - 32%
Swap - 14%
Text - 148kb/164kb
Data - 7.8mb/7.8mb

I could'nt know how to check the maxdsiz.And also i have already found out that jdk1.5 uses more memory basically the garbage collector as you mentioned.I wanted to know does the PA_RISC and integrity servers have any impact too on the processes and if yes, what is the possible reason for it.

Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

maxdsize can be seen by using kmtune(1M)

The differences are totally normal... Are you running, for instance, the same Java application on both servers?

I've even seen the same application using different amounts of memory on the same server, just by using a different compiler.
In your case, you didn't only use a different compiler, but also a different piece of hardware.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.

Yes the processes are same and compiled in jdk1.5.
DeafFrog
Valued Contributor

Downlaod heap and dump analyser from IBM site , give the process a kill -3 analyse the o/p of core thus generated.
Regards,
FrogIsDeaf
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

> Downlaod heap and dump analyser from IBM site

I'm not sure IBM has something to do with HP-UX.
Unix operates with beer.
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

Sharmistha,

You should download the gdb/wdb tool for debugging the application core file. See this thread:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1373999

and look at the attached doc on how to analyse a core dump with gdb.
Unix operates with beer.

Thank you folks for your suggestions. I shall follow up with them :-)