2798 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SuSE Open Enterprise: SmartStart on ML330

Larry Precure
Occasional Advisor

SuSE Open Enterprise: SmartStart on ML330

Trying to install SuSE OES on ML330G2.

The server shows as supporting OES on the support matrices, but the SmartStart CDs don't seem to mention OES at all.

Do I lie to SmartStart and say it's SLES 9? (I think the Linux part of the two OSs are the same. I think OES simply includes more Novell services, operating on top of the same Linux. But I know OES also modifies that Linux a lot, mostly to add support for eDirectory.)

Begin the install from SmartStart CD? Or install using Novell CDs, then add HP packages (either from SmartStart CDs or from hp.com)?
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I would "install using Novell CDs, then add HP packages (either from SmartStart CDs or from hp.com)"?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Larry Precure
Occasional Advisor

Yeah, just noticed that the SmartStart install CD, if you boot from it, doesn't have the OPTION of installing Linux, only NetWare and MS.
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Try booting directly from the SUSE CD/DVD if this fails or it installs then fails to reboot it will be because this server has a hardware RAID device (or similar) that requires a driver disk.

If a driver-disk is required try looking on HP or the manufacturer's web site as it is likely that they will provide a disk image that use can use to create a floppy. When you repeat the install use "linux dd" or select "optional driver disk" from the installation menu.
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hi Larry,

Smartstart is sometimes required to install Micro$oft Windows because some hardware components drivers are not part from the standard Micro$oft Windows installation media.

For Linux, generally all needed drivers are present on the installation CD. If it is not the case, HP - normally - provides installation image to be put on diskette, that contains the vital drivers. The images and drivers should be included in the smartstart CD. Try also :
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locOsCat/1110.html#288

Good lcuk.
Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Larry Precure
Occasional Advisor

I SHOULD have made the question clearer.

I've successfully installed (three times) from the Novell CDs. But several things don't work.

For example, it will not allow me to configure a CUPS printer. Messages at startup about unknown NDS errors.

But I assume those problems are more Novell's problems.

What I was looking for (hoping for?) were things like Insite Manager agents, array diagnostic programs, and things like that. (After installing the things from the installation CD, the only thing I can find that indicates that I've done anything at all is messages that popup in the "login" window telling me that the health monitor is continually starting and stopping.)

(And, for some reason, the two packages that is says require the kernel source code both fail to install with a "missing directory" message from the make command.)

Don't know if this is because I haven't installed them correctly, or is there not supposed to be anything I can see from the console, at all? This may simply be a case of "it's installed, and I don't know what I'm looking for".

However, thanks for the information. (Not y'all's fault that I don't even know which question to ask.)