4833 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Terminal emulation VT100 not perfect

inactive account
Frequent Advisor

Terminal emulation VT100 not perfect

Hello,
The VT100 terminal emulation seems incomplete when used with semi-graphic application like osiadmin or sam.
Strange behaviour, functions key unavailable (F1, F4, F8).
Are there somewhere patches or new termcap?
9 REPLIES 9
Ceesjan van Hattum
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Terminal emulation VT100 not perfect

Maybe this will help.
For VT100, where \E = ESC

Function key F1 : \EOP
Function key F2 : \EOQ
Function key F3 : \EOR
Function key F4 : \EOS
Function key F5 : \EOT
Function key F6 : \E[17~
Function key F7 : \E[18~
Function key F8 : \E[19~
Function key F9 : \E[20~
Function key F10: \E[21~
Function key F11: \E[23~
Function key F12: \E[24~

Arrow Key UP : \E[A
Arrow Key DOWN : \E[B
Arrow Key RIGHT : \E[C
Arrow Key LEFT : \E[D

Next Page Key : \E[F
Prev. Page Key : \E[E

Succes,
Ceesjan
inactive account
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately, it did not help much because:
when I enter osidamin, the menu provides information for functions as:
^F1-Help
^F2-Main Menu
^F3-Shell
^F4-Select Item ^F8-Previous Menu

and I suppose that means I need to strike control/F1 ?

Am I right?
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

why don't you try some supported emulation. Try hpterm for a change and see if it helps.

How the TERM setting works also depends on the type of emulator login you are trying to the server. A simple telnet login, hpterm might not be of much help.

I use remsh using exceed and set my emulation to hpterm. It works for me.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

What terminal emulation package are you using? Does it provide for keyboard mapping? If not, you may need to get one that does, like Reflections for Unix and Digital.

HTH
Marty
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Do you refer to the EM100 emulation of a HP-terminal like the 700/96 ??

In this case you should look at the diffrent keyboard-layouts according to the manual.

As EM100 does not have the usual keys F1-F8 but uses the vt100 keys PF1-PF4 (vt100 does not have 8 function keys!). These PF1-PF4 keys are located right above the numpad!

The numpad itself is reprogrammable in vt100 to compensate lack of function keys, so if your application uses special function keys, you will probably find them directed to the numpad! I had to deal with ADABAS/D on Hp-UX and it was a real mess to figure out those keys! Better go for a PC-emulation based on vt220 or higher (vt220 has at least 8 function keys).

Hope this helps
Volker
inactive account
Frequent Advisor

I'm using SecureCRT which allow SSH connections as well as telnet.
It proposes vt220, vt100, linux etc but not hpterm...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

A DEC VT-100 terminal has been a museum piece for so long that most people can't remember what one looks like or how it really worked. The basic VT100 had no previous page memory and no softkeys. So if your emulator has them, it isn't really a VT100 emulator. SAM (and swinstall and other SD programs) are designed for smart terminals so using a VT100 emulator guarentees lots of problems if the applications need special features.

To visit (revisit) the old VT100, here is an excellent archive: http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal/dec.html

SAM (and other HP utilities are much easier to use with a smart terminal (a terminal that has defined or loadable softkeys). Get an emulator that has at least VT220 emulation as a start. The ability of an emulator (using the Curses or terminfo library) is first defined by the TERM value picked by ttytype (in /etc/profile) and must be then matched with an appropriate entry in /usr/lib/terminfo. To see the capabilities available with a particular TERM value, type the command:

untic $TERM

Some emulators actually document what they will do, but most don't. As mentioned, an HP terminal emulator such as WRQ's Reflection for HP (not Reflection/X) will make SAM and swinstall very easy to use.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
inactive account
Frequent Advisor

Thanx to everybody for your help.
vt220 works fine with sam.
I still have a problem with OTS otsadmin which does not support vt220 (it seems to support only hpterm (correctly) and vt100(badly) )...

Anyway thanx again

Martin Bennett_4
Occasional Advisor

I am not sure if this will help, but when it refers to F4 it actually means & Then the number 4.

This works for me

Martin