Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unix commands

SOLVED
Go to solution
Francis Ancheta
Frequent Advisor

Unix commands

whenever I login and use a different account other than root I have problems running commands.

Scenario:

I loggin as xxx execute su to get root prev. run Iptables etc ... etc .. it won't work. But if I login in a different virtual screen using root I wont have any problems. ... I am now pissed off ... going from one screen to another. Isnt it that if you su you are suppose to get root prev.

I am a new user of Linux and I am not sure if Linux as environment settings for path like Windows.

Pls. help.
4 REPLIES
Francisco J. Soler
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Unix commands

Hi,

Try to use "su -" (without "")

this way you load the complete root enviroment.

Frank.
Linux?. Yes, of course.
Francis Ancheta
Frequent Advisor

Right on the spot ... Thanks. My second question is there an environment equivalent of "Path" in Linux?
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

I think your looking for the PATH environment variable. You can look its value in this way:

$ echo $PATH

that print the value of the variable; you can also use this:

$ env

that prints the whole environment variables set.

you can edit the PATH variable so (or just any variable):

$ export PATH=

remember that the ':' divides the entries in the PATH variable (I think it's ';' that does this in windows systems, if i'm not going wrong).
so, if you want add a new command search path:

$ export PATH=$PATH:

hth
Claudio
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hello!

The PATH in linux is the same variable name
as in UNIX systems -> $PATH

Caesar