108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Updating from HP UX 10.20 to 11i

SOLVED
Go to solution
RASE
Occasional Contributor

Updating from HP UX 10.20 to 11i

Before updating from HP UX 10.20 to 11i, are there any precautions about Oracle 8.0.4 environment ?
Is it still compatible ?

What do you suggest:
Updating from 10.20 to 11i all stations, including clients, or updating servers only and cold installing all clients stations ?

Regards,
6 REPLIES 6
Clemens van Everdingen
Honored Contributor

Re: Updating from HP UX 10.20 to 11i

Hi,

I would suggest you do not upgrade, but instead do a cold install.

Search for upgrade in the forum and you will find lot's of threads related to this issue.

Upgrade is definetly not reccomended.

C.
The computer is a great invention, there are as many mistakes as ever, but they are nobody's fault !
David Burgess
Esteemed Contributor

Cold install every time. I tried an upgrade once. What a mess! You know exactly where you are with a fresh install.

HTH,

Dave.
Deepak Extross
Honored Contributor

Third vote for cold install on all stations.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

As has been mentioned many times - cold install. Doing a fresh install gives you the chance to clean out all the old patches that are taking up all the space in /var, re-allocate your root files systems, and start in a known state.

Good luck,
Pete

Pete
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

RASE,

Cold install hpux 11i for your servers AND your client workstations.

The success rate of trying to perform an "UPGRADE" is very minimal (I like to say it is rapidly approaching zero).

By the time you tried to "fix" a system, where you attempted an upgrade, you could have had the system "fresh/cold" installed, including your data restores. If you have other VG's, and you don't need to use those disks for root, then I'd suggest you "exporting" those volumes, then importing them after the cold install.

BUT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, make SURE you create TWO (2) make_tape_recovery's (with the -A option) of your EXISTING systems, and two (2) FULL data backups (verify them!). This allows you to GO BACK if necessary!

Also, make sure you use the MARCH 2002 install media, then make sure you apply other potentially necessary patches using the Custom Patch Manager under the "IT Resource Center Home" area.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Paul McCleary
Honored Contributor

Hi,

HP have made changes to the upgrade process and it is "supposed" to be better. There are some set off specific commands, which I forget now but you can find in the docs.

Needless to say, given my previous experience I would also recommend a cold install. Though if you have several servers , you could maybe try it on one just to see?

HTH, Paul