108843 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Urgent help please /usr . deleted

SOLVED
Go to solution
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you do the backup now, it will not have /usr.

Do you have another ignite tape (including /usr)?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
TTr
Honored Contributor

> make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

If that's what it says on the tape there is hope. If that's what you want to do, you should not do it now since it will not contain /usr.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Charlie,

This is serious!!

You said that you are not the administrator. You made a mistake ( a big one ). I do not think you could properly fix this. We can't even be certain you are identifying the right recovery tape. You might be able to restore /usr from a backup tape, provided that backup is being run from another machine. But you may not be sure which tape is the right one!

Talk to the administrator, or talk to your manager immediately. Better to be up front then to do even more damage.

The deed is done........step up, admit the mistake and try and "help" whoever knows what they are doing there to fix this. Otherwise call a consultant who does and let them fix it.

Kindest regards,
Rita
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

...and if it helps you....

I too have made a big fat finger mistake that cost where I worked thousands upon thousands of dollars in lost time. Once I did it and realized what had just happened (it's a long story about doing an upgrade with practically no resources & juggling like crazy) I went to the Director and said the upgrade is over and it was my fault.

I am still working at the same place, although I took alot of ribbing (even from the Director). But I had a restore-it-all-back plan in place, so no disruption to business. And the next attempt to do the massive upgrade the job got done-no mistakes!

Rita

Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Charlie123,

You can recover the system , if you get a tape that is having make_tape_recovery backup of the server taken earlier.

Or If you have any tape contains tar backup of the Filesystems taken earlier.

I am sure if you reboot the system it won't come up again with the absent of (/usr ) files.

If you have a tape (backuped up earlier using tar):
Insert it and try to see if /usr can be found there:

# /sbin/tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0m [ To see tape content , assuming 0m is tape drive] If it shows something with /usr its good
# /sbin/tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0m /usr

Hth,
Raj.

" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Assuming you're still logged on, if you have another HP-UX system available based on the same processor family you could try copying some commands and drop them in /tmp, using /opt/ssh/bin/scp which will still be there.

It can be as simple as tarring up /usr on the other server, copying the tar executable and the archive using scp, and untarring it archive to recover /usr to a workable state. Definitely not ideal but maybe it's doable.

If that fails, fixing the problem might require booting from an install DVD and working in the expert recovery mode. An alternative is moving the disk in another HP-UX box to repopulate /usr. In all cases this task should be given to an experienced administrator.

Good luck
Charlie123
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all for the great replies. The machine's OS was reinstalled completely and all the old stuff was gone !!! Not sure the consequences I may face. The machine was a test machine only, the test application data has a backup and all were restored. Thanks again.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Not to worry. Its a test machine. And we've all done similar at one time or another on test boxes. That's what they're their for.

Once, not long ago actually, I had a test box that everyone was very serious about because it was run by SAP admins and SAP'ers are always over stating their important and knowledge. This box had power path and alternate links were handled by power path the the alternates weren't incorporated into /etc/lvmtab or their respected vgs. I was just coming in on a contract, never seen this box before nor knew its history of short cuts, and started expanding vg's with already used luns id'd by their alternate links. I think I over wrote 9 test database luns and it was a couple of days before anyone complained. I was stunned and ready to fall on my sword. I even had an email written and ready to send to my manager. Then a co-worker came over. He was the short cut guy or the bear trap guy. The guy who had added the alternate links into the vgs. And he poo-poo'd the whole thing.

So really, if you're worried then talk it over with a co-worker before you fall on your sword. In fact, you should endeavor to talk everything over with your mates and strive to laugh about mistakes and 'ahhhh' the solutions that you missed. Truly, it will reduce the amount of stress tremednously.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law