Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Cannot convert string... with Oracle Universal Installer...

MAD_2
Super Advisor

Warning: Cannot convert string... with Oracle Universal Installer...

Anyone has an idea of why this message keeps scrolling on my screen when I start the Oracle Universal Installer?

Scenario:

I have a HP-UX 11.0 64 bit and am trying to install Oracle 8.1.7.3 using a Solaris Xwindows display for the installation Display, since I have no XWindow on my RP5470.

I mount the CD, log out of my root session and log back in as oracle which belongs to the oinstall group and start the installation from the /home/oracle directory with the following command:
/SD_CDROM/oraInstall

After I type the command, I get my Installation screen on the Solaris XWindow, but my HP-UX keeps displaying the following message:

Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface system-medium-r-normal-s*-*-*-*-*-*t
Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-normal-s*-*-*-*-*-*t

Any ideas? I have not started the installation yet, I would like to have a good idea of what this means.

Thanks!
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it makes friends with
1 REPLY
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Warning: Cannot convert string... with Oracle Universal Installer...

Adam,

This is a message associated to X-Fonts. You can look into xfs under /etc/rc.config.d/xfs to turn on the X-Font Server. Bill Hassell and many others have written a lot about how to repair this issue by editing catalog lines and adding a few things .profile will access.

Do a search on what you're seeing and you'll find a lot of answers.

This URL will show the general idea:

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000024603696

HTH,

Dave