108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Weblogic doesn't find libmuxer library

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Weblogic doesn't find libmuxer library

I am installing WebLogic 8.1.4 on a second set of HP-UX Integrity systems. (And the software I install it for does not allow me to install a newer WebLogic version).
Both systems have an identical configuration, except for some minor details (like IP-adresses and so) and probably something I missed.
On the systems where WebLogic is already running for some while, everything is fine.
On these new systems however, I get the following message :
The trouble is : file libmuxer.so effectively exists in /opt/bea/weblogic81/server/lib/hpux11/IPF32.
The file (and the whole installation starting from /opt/bea) is owned by the process that runs weblogic, and I verified access from the weblogic user to the lirary file and all looks OK.

Has anyone of you ever had the same problem and found what causes weblogic to not find this library file ?
10 REPLIES 10
VK2COT
Honored Contributor

Re: Weblogic doesn't find libmuxer library

Hello,

From memory, this was discussed in some forums.

It is not enough to have this directory in the PATH environment variable.

The directory that has the shared library for
the libmuxer, has to be in the SHLIB_PATH too.

Carefully compare your environment variables
between the good and the failing server
(including kernel parameters and ulimits).

Cheers,

VK2COT
VK2COT - Dusan Baljevic
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>The directory that has the shared library for
the libmuxer, has to be in the SHLIB_PATH too.

I would assume that's the path that is being printed in the error message?
What does "file libmuxer.so" show?
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

The startup is done with a script (delivered by the WebLogic installation), so I can check whet it does.
As far as I can see, this script expands SHLIB_PATH itself to include the necessary libraries. The error itself prints the SHLIB_PATH and requests to put the file in one of the directories of the payh.

So I would guess the SHLIB_PATH, and the presence of the file in one of the shown directories would make it ok.

Dennis,
Command "file libmuxer.so" returns :
libmuxer.so: ELF-32 shared object file - IA64

Dusan,
Certainly, SOMETHING will be different between the two sets of systems, but it is hard to look for differences when you are convinced both environments are the same (including .profile, .kshrc, startup scripts, kernel configuration, security setup, ...). This is like searching for the needle in the haystack, so that is why I am looking for hints and clues in this forum.
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

Make sure your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, is set correctly to pick up the shared library

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Robert-Jan,
Interesting links. I inserted an "echo" of the SHLIB_PATH variable right beofre the start of the JVM, but the path to the libmuxer.so is in there.

Steve,
I inserted a line to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (although I thought this was for 64bit only, and this JVM is 32bit -> bin/ia64N/java), but anyway, it doesn't make a difference.

It really looks like the searchpath for libraries is ok (looking at the error message), and that the library file is at the right place, but for some bizarre reason, the JVM is unable to find the file.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>Command "file libmuxer.so" returns:
libmuxer.so: ELF-32 shared object file - IA64

Looks good. I assume the permissions are 555?

>SOMETHING will be different between the two sets of systems, but it is hard to look for differences when you are convinced both environments are the same

Use the force to check for differences. :-)
env | sort > sorted_envs.sys1

Then just diff the two sorted_envs.sys* files.

>Steve: Make sure your LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Yes, that should work too and is recommended for IPF.
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hello Dennis,

I think you made me look at something obvious.
Althoug the weblogic user is the owner of all files, the working system has ptvileges 755 on libmuxer.so and the other has 640 (so, no execute privileges). I guess that will be it, but I first want to find out now how it is possible that the permission bits for the complete installation are so different, while .profile is the same for both environments.
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

I am not sure if you may not need passing the path to your JVM directly?
Would it work if you extended it to something similar to

-Djava.library.path=/opt/bea/weblogic81/server/lib/hpux11:/opt/bea/weblogic81/server/lib/hpux11/IPF32

This is usually set somewhere in the shell script that starts your WLS JVM (e.g. start.sh)

What does your JVM's args look like?

e.g.

$ UNIX95= ps -x -o args= -C java

Madness, thy name is system administration