Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cpu frequency scaling not supported on TC4400

Dominik Stockinger
Occasional Visitor

cpu frequency scaling not supported on TC4400

Hi,

I installed various Linux distributions on my HP TC4400 tablet with T2500 dual core cpu. In all cases I could not get cpu frequency scaling to work. The distributions I tried were Ubuntu 6.10 (with linux kernel 2.6.17) and OpenSUSE 10.2 (kernel 2.6.18) and a new Fedora version.

I would greatly appreciate any information on why this problem exists and how I can solve it. Under linux my battery lasts approx 2:30 hours while under Windows XP the battery lasts approx 5 hours.

In detail, what I see is the following (the same situation for all the tried linux distributions):

- I would expect a directory
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/
but this directory does not exist

- lsmod lists the following modules which are related to cpufreq: cpufreq_usedspace, cpufreq_stats, freq_table, cpufreq_powersave, cpufreq_ondemand, cpufreq_conservative, speedstep-lib. modprobe on any of these does not show any error messages.

- dmesg showed the following information that might be relevant:

[17179571.852000] ACPI: Looking for DSDT ... not found!
[17179573.688000] CPU1: Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T2500 @ 2.00GHz stepping 0c
(and similar for CPU0)

- trying to run e.g. powernowd or gnome's frequency scaling monitor results in error message "cpu frequency scaling not supported".

I would be very grateful for help and of course I would be happy to provide more detailed information!

Dominik