Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deect mouse and keyboard

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

deect mouse and keyboard

if i install linux9 on a server using some keyboord and mouse, and then i change these keyboard and mouse may be to another type can the linux detect the new ones ,or should i restart the server, and can linux system work wil with KVM and LCD , Thanks all
fadia.marei
6 REPLIES
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: deect mouse and keyboard

the linux system can work with KVM and LCD-(my case).
there are:
kbdconfig for keyboard
mouseconfig for mouse
configuration programs

you also have them as
redhat-config-mouse
and
redhat-config-keyboard
Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

thanks , and what about detecting new mouse and keyboard ,rather than the installed ones
fadia.marei
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Depends what kind of mouse and keyboard you are talking about.

A usb mouse and keyboard should be detected and work fine (though GRUB might not)

THere is a hardware issue with taking out a ps/2 mouse that means you have to boot the PC to get a new one recognised.

If the mouse type is completely different, for example going from a serial mouse to a usb mouse, X will NOT recognise it and you will need to change the protocol for your mouse and the keyboard type in /etc/XF86Config.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

oops, sorry, forgot to mention. If you change /etc/XF86Config a) take copy of it first and b) You'll need to restart X though not the whole PC.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Fadia Almarei
Super Advisor

thanks alot for help ,i will try it ,and for any problem (i hope not) i will contact you
fadia.marei
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

and if you do have a Laptop, connecting and disconnecting a mouse on the fly is no problem at all. As for LCD, my wife is sitting in front of a 17 inch LCD connected to a Linux PC ;-)

Greetings, Martin