SOLVED
Go to solution
Erik Voelker_1
Advisor

filesystem inode error

I have a k100 running 10.20
I started getting inode errors on one of my filesystems. the error reads:
ilisterr - /usr filesystem error reading inode #####

What does the error mean and how can I find more information?

Thanks...
5 REPLIES 5
Jason VanDerMark
Trusted Contributor

Re: filesystem inode error

You might try running an fsck. If the inode is marked as bad an fsck will generally fix it up. Atleast that's what I remember. I hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Jason V.
Tie two birds together, eventhough they have four wings, they cannot fly.
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

I think this sounds like your problem:-

WARNING: msgcnt x: vxfs: mesg 016: vx_ilisterr - mount_point file system error reading inode inumber Message 016

Explanation

An I/O error occurred while reading the inode list. The VX_FULLFSCK flag is set.

Action

Check the console log for I/O errors. If the problem was caused by a disk failure, replace the disk before the file system is mounted for write access. Unmount the file system and use fsck to run a full structural check.

In other words run fsck on the filesystem.
Erik Voelker_1
Advisor

Thanks for the suggestions...

when trying to umount /usr, I run into device busy... after looking at fuser output, the only two process using are unfamiliar. one is an incrementing four digit number followed by the letter c (1391c)

How can I stop those process'? or will I have to take the system down to single user mode?

Thanks again...
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The digits identify the PID and the c indicates it is it's the currect directory. /usr is a core part of your operating system. I don't think you can do anything without taking the system down. In fact you'll probably have to reboot the machine and interrupt the boot sequence and take it into single user to make sure nothing is using /usr.
Erik Voelker_1
Advisor

thanks fellas, that seemed to do the trick!