Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i have problem with install debian etch kernel 2.6 in dl380g7

how can i install debia
Occasional Visitor

i have problem with install debian etch kernel 2.6 in dl380g7

hi all
i have a dl380g7 server with 4g RAM,2*146 HDD,

i have problem with installation Debian etch kernel 2.6
this log is:
"The automatic detechtion didnt find a CDR-ROM you can try load aspecific module if you have a unusual CD-ROM drive"

thanks alot
4 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: i have problem with install debian etch kernel 2.6 in dl380g7

You're trying to install an obsolete distribution that is no longer supported, to the latest-model hardware. This might not be a successful combination.

The Debian Project's support for "etch" ended on 2010-02-15. The current release is "squeeze": it was released very recently, on 2011-02-06. The previous release was "lenny": it's still supported and receiving updates.

The message indicates the kernel could not even identify the SATA controller that provides access to the CD/DVD drive.

If you really must install Debian "etch", you'll probably need the updated "etch-and-a-half" installation CDs to support your new hardware. "Etch-and-a-half" is just Etch with an updated kernel and installer to support more modern hardware. Please see this page for more information:
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/debian-installer/etchnhalf

MK
MK
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

I concur with Matti, though you might also try an external USB optical drive with the media you already have...
how can i install debia
Occasional Visitor

Dear Matti and Alan
hi
I thank you for answering
i refer to the site and got etch-half download and install a version of it

bnx2-09-4.0.5.fw-files during the installation it was necessary.and my guy did and installation success.
but when Os gets the boot.have this error
"bnx2:cannot load firmware file bnx2-09-4.0.5.fw"

and when i confige the network i have problem And Os does not recognize network hardware.
the error is:
SIOCGMIIPAY on 'eth3' faild resource temporarily unavalable .no MII interface found

thank you very much
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Make sure the bnx2-09-4.0.5.fw file is in /lib/firmware directory. Add it there if necessary.

MK
MK