Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need info on access of mysql in shell script...

Karthik_sg
Frequent Advisor

need info on access of mysql in shell script...

hi thr i want to know how do we access a colum in the followin query in shell script.
var1=`mysql <......EOF`
now i want to access the second column(class) first row.
But whn i echo $var1. it gives all the values together
[note:there are many rows]
now how do i access the first row, thn the second,.....
Pls do write a script or give me an example.Its urgent.
thnks in advance
4 REPLIES
Padma Asrani
Honored Contributor

Re: need info on access of mysql in shell script...

Hi

If various fields are separated through space then you could use awk. Can you paste the output of var1 then I could write and send it to you.

Padma
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

There are a few issues involved here which need to be addressed.

First:

If you are working in a shell, and want to get each 'name' and 'class' into a shell variable to manipulate, then you want to use 'read' and a 'while' loop. This can be done very easily, i.e.:

mysql -N -B -e 'select name, class from student' | while read NAME CLASS; do ....; done

This makes an assumption or two though.

Second:

This assumption is that 'name' or 'class' contains no spaces (not likely it seems). So this means you want to do something more like this:

----- start ------
#!/bin/sh

OFS=$IFS
IFS=|

mysql -N -e 'select name, class from student' | while read NAME CLASS
do
echo ::${NAME}::${CLASS}::
done
IFS=$OFS

-----end ------

This is messing around with the Input Field Separator, so it pays to be a little bit careful.
One long-haired git at your service...
Karthik_sg
Frequent Advisor

Assume name Hexstatus,timestamp,N1 are the fields.now

name Hex(Status) timestamp N1 00000000000000000000000000000002 2007-06-20 10:06:00 0016e694818b
00000000000000000000000000000200 2007-06-20 10:02:18 /B1/G1/r1
00000000000000000000000000000200 2007-06-20 10:02:18
i want the fileds with 0s whch is a hexadecimal value.
i want to access all of them individually
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Then alter this line:

mysql -N -e 'select name, status, class from student' | while read NAME STATUS CLASS

Your 3 values are '$NAME', '$STATUS' and '$CLASS'. All individually accessable within the loop.

The '-N' flag, coupled with the IFS redelegation are important, as these set up the structure for the 'read'.
One long-haired git at your service...