4909 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: not able to assign disk to guest from host

gb karki
Frequent Advisor

not able to assign disk to guest from host

Hi,

When i'm assigning the disk to guest from host, i'm getting below mention errors.
Please help.

Thanks in advance.

# hpvmmodify -P vmnode2 -a disk:avio_stor::disk:/dev/rdisk/disk21
hpvmmodify: ERROR (vmnode2): Device file '/dev/rdisk/disk21' is a server-restricted device and cannot be used by a guest while restricted. See 'hpvmdevmgmt -l rdev:/dev/rdisk/disk21'.
hpvmmodify: Unable to create device disk:avio_stor:0,1,0:disk:/dev/rdisk/disk21.
hpvmmodify: WARNING (vmnode2): Device file '/dev/rdisk/disk21' is a server-restricted device and cannot be used by a guest while restricted. See 'hpvmdevmgmt -l rdev:/dev/rdisk/disk21'.
hpvmmodify: ERROR (vmnode2): Due to errors affecting the device database, the guest configuration file will not be updated.
hpvmmodify: Unable to modify the guest.
# hpvmmodify -P vmnode2 -a disk:scsi::disk:/dev/rdisk/disk21
hpvmmodify: ERROR (vmnode2): Device file '/dev/rdisk/disk21' is a server-restricted device and cannot be used by a guest while restricted. See 'hpvmdevmgmt -l rdev:/dev/rdisk/disk21'.
hpvmmodify: Unable to create device disk:scsi:0,2,1:disk:/dev/rdisk/disk21.
hpvmmodify: WARNING (vmnode2): Device file '/dev/rdisk/disk21' is a server-restricted device and cannot be used by a guest while restricted. See 'hpvmdevmgmt -l rdev:/dev/rdisk/disk21'.
hpvmmodify: ERROR (vmnode2): Due to errors affecting the device database, the guest configuration file will not be updated.

Regards
Karki
9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This is a protected disk used by host. Check your device configuration.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
gb karki
Frequent Advisor

Hi Torsten,

I'm new in vm, can you tell me how to unprotect or how to assign this to disk other guest.

Regards
Karki
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi
A device when made restricted cant be assigned to IVM guest. the reason of doing so is that one does not assign a Host Device to a guest, like in case of disk that can cause data loss.

check the configuration as suggested using the commands
#hpvmstatus -v -P
and
#hpvmmgmtdb -l rdev:/dev/rdisk/disk21

so as to find more details for the same.

in that case if this is beong used by host then try using some other disk for the VM guest.

regards
sujit
gb karki
Frequent Advisor

Now i'm getting below error.

# hpvmmodify -P vmnode2 -a disk:scsi::disk:/dev/sdisk/disk23
hpvmmodify: ERROR (vmnode2): '/dev/sdisk/disk23' backing device does not exist.
hpvmmodify: Unable to create device disk:scsi:0,2,2:disk:/dev/sdisk/disk23.
HPVM guest vmnode2 configuration problems:
Warning 1 on item /dev/sdisk/disk21: '/dev/sdisk/disk21' backing device does not exist.
Warning 2 on item /dev/sdisk/disk23: '/dev/sdisk/disk23' backing device does not exist.
These problems may prevent HPVM guest vmnode2 from starting.
hpvmmodify: The modification process is continuing.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Well the error message is self explanatory:
# hpvmmodify -P vmnode2 -a disk:scsi::disk:/dev/sdisk/disk23
hpvmmodify: ERROR (vmnode2): '/dev/sdisk/disk23' backing device does not exist.

there is no sdisk, it should be rdisk
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
gb karki
Frequent Advisor

Hi Burnard,

Sorry for typo mistake.

i'm getting below error.

# hpvmmodify -P vmnode2 -a disk:scsi::disk:/dev/rdisk/disk21
hpvmmodify: Unable to create device disk:scsi:0,2,1:disk:/dev/rdisk/disk21.
#
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I suspect disk21 is your internal disk which is used in your host VG00. This is automatically restricted. Do you have other disks in your system (either internally or from SAN) that aren't assigned to the host VG00 or aren't in use?

do an lvmadm -l on your VM host and see what disks are assigned to VGs on your host.
gb karki
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Yesterday i have resolved the problem.
I have removed these two disk entry from hpvm_mgmtdb file and added these disk to guest. Its success.

Thanks for your responce.

Regards
Karki

sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Karki,

However this is suggested that you do not edit the /var/opt/hpvm/common/hpvm_mgmtdb file manually.

Instead always check that if a device is restricted then it may be to make that device more secure in VM environment to avoid the human errors of getting that destroyed.

there is a -f option with hpvmmodify also that you can use to change the device assignments which performa smaller checks on the HPVM_DB , but should be used witha grreat caution!

regards
sujit