1753794 Members
7239 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ntp problem

rick jones
Honored Contributor

those are some surprisingly large offsets if indeed ntpdate is run to set the clock off one of the servers at boot time before xntpd is started. is NTPDATE_SERVER set in /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons? (I may have the filename wrong there)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
donna hofmeister
Trusted Contributor

sorry for not getting back on this until now...

updating the story a bit...so i've found out that there is a mix of 11.11 and 11.23 vpars in one sd64b. i've attached a netstat -s from on the the vpars. while i know it's just a snapshot in time, it still has a story to tell, i think.

the current values in nddconf are:

TRANSPORT_NAME[0]=tcp
NDD_NAME[0]=tcp_conn_request_max
NDD_VALUE[0]=15000

TRANSPORT_NAME[1]=tcp
NDD_NAME[1]=tcp_fin_wait_2_timeout
NDD_VALUE[1]=120000

tcp_conn_request_max was just added at my request (i don't know why [0] was selected). tcp_fin_wait_2_timeout is apparently a value that is "always set" and no one seems to know why.

given the little bit of feedback that i have, adding max connection requests hasn't helped.

characteristics that continue to be seen are:
. ntpq won't sync (still)
. "slow" network response time
. nettl traces are showing retransmits, dup acks, tcp out-of-order (truly unpleasant stuff)
rick jones
Honored Contributor

tcp_conn_request_max merely sets the overall limit on the maximum size of a TCP listen queue - the actual minimum being the lesser of tcp_conn_request_max and what the application passes-in on its listen() calls.

The other one is a kludge timeout to deal with FIN_WAIT_2 connections.

The 0 and 1 are the array indicies, which in this context start at zero. The nddconf file will later be "sourced" to create shell arrays of ndd settings to be applied...

As NTP makes no use of TCP, neither tunable should have any bearing on NTP problems :)

As for the netstat stats, while the TCP stats do indeed look a little troubling, and imply there may be almost a 1% packet loss rate, which can be doubleplusungood for TCP performance (depending on the nature of the traffic), a 1% packet loss rate for NTP shouldn't be all that bad.

That the UDP stats for bad header and socket overflow are the same suggests there is a bug in the UDP stats.

For future reference, running pairs of netstat snapshots through beforeafter:

ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/tools/

can be helpful - particularly if the snapshots are over an "interesting" interval.

*Is* there indeed something configured for NTPDATE_SERVER in the /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons file? (might have some syntax errors there) My understanding is that an ntpdate -d command will not _actually_ adjust system time:

-d Enable the debugging mode, in which ntpdate will go through all the steps, but not adjust the local clock. information useful for general debugging will also be printed.

Picking your most reliable NTP server to put in the NTPDATE_SERVER entry is goodness - it will make sure that the system time is "close" to that of an ntp server at startup.
donna hofmeister
Trusted Contributor

regarding nddconf and [0] and [1] -- thanks. i was thinking they referred to lan cards (in a netconf-kinda way).

is "doubleplusungood" trademarked? that can even be used in polite society :-)

i'll dig into the state of the network patches. in my old mpe days, i could ask what the current set of network patches were. is there a simple answer to the same question in hp-ux-speak?

yes, i know about before-n-after :-) and if i had more than one netstat...i would have run it.

regarding ntp -- i don't think there is an ntp problem. rather it's a symptom.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

MPE days eh - well, at least I'm not suggesting "netcontrol start" :) (I used to do CPE and development on MPE/XL from about 1.2 to 2.2/3.0ish)

Yes, doubleplusungood can be used in polite society - one plusbeneficial side-effect of Newspeak is making it impossible to form an impolite thought in addition to a seditious one :)

1% packet loss rates (guesstimated by the ratio of datasegments retransmitted to data segments sent) shouldn't be all that bad for NTP. It will make reachability scores a little worse, but NTP really aught to be able to handle that. Did you have some other root cause in mind when looking at the netstat statistics?
BUPA IS
Respected Contributor

Donna,
Between your first post and this one we have fixed a similar problem with another maufacturers system by applying a firmware fix. Basically the hardware clock was not being maintained correcly and was arguing with NTP .
You mentioned that all the partitions on the system suffered from the same problem .

I found this patch for the superdome firmware
Patch Name: PF_CSFW0006
In addition,
- Real time clock showing inaccurate time.

Patch Description: HP Superdome Utility Firmware 7.34 and PDC 36.8
release notes here

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=id&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=322811&swItem=PF-CSFW0009&prodNameId=322813&swEnvOID=7&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

I hope this might be of some use.

Mike
Help is out there always!!!!!
donna hofmeister
Trusted Contributor

Was the link correct? It seems to be pointing to a rather old release:
Version: 36.8 (8 May 2006)
BUPA IS
Respected Contributor

Donna,
That was the first link I came across where I found a reference to a real time clock error.

I suppose I should have asked what firmware level your are on and which model of superdome you have installed before rushing into print.

Mean while I have had another look and found this one from Nov 2007

PDC_FW 043.006.000 contains the following fixes:
Time drift for HP-UX operating systems up to 48 minutes per month. This has been fixed.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=322811&swItem=ux-55398-1&mode=4&idx=2

Mind you I may still be completely wrong

Mike
Help is out there always!!!!!
donna hofmeister
Trusted Contributor

mike -- thanks for both links. we're looking to see if the 2nd/newer one is applicable.

rick -- ntp apparently is just the tip of the iceberg. I've asked them to apply the latest transport and dependent patches since the 1st rule in network problem solving is *patch* :-)
(ok...so i'm late in applying the rule)

stay tuned...
rick jones
Honored Contributor

being up on latest patches is generally goodness - however, 1% TCP retransmission rate is not, in and of itself, cause to patch.